Thread: 07) Youth Co-Ordinator's Report

Blog Entries

Default 07) Youth Co-Ordinator's Report

Youth report goes here.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Post Youth Co-Ordinator's report

This has been another very active year in Youth Chess.
    The two primary roles that I have been involved in are running the OYCC and approving YCC qualifier tournaments and subsequently approving the qualified players.

It would seem that we have had perhaps fewer actual YCC tournaments in Ontario, yet as many players or more participating this year.

All-in-all, with the CYCC in Ottawa this year, we should definitely have VERY good representation from Ontario at this national event.

The OYCC (Ontario Youth Chess Championship) has been even more successful this year. It seems that Kitchener City Hall is an ideal place to hold this event with ample space for parents and casual events and good rooms for the actual tournament games.
    I would like to thank the OCA once again for supporting the event with a contribution that goes towards the bursaries that players win to help pay for their trip to the CYCC.
    I would also like to thank several volunteers that help make the event the success it is every year. Tom McLelland, Hal Bond, Brian Clarke, Kai Gauer, Our feature simul attractions: Hans Jung and Liza Orlova. A special thanks goes to my wife Eva for her dedication and support of the event and all the help leading up to and throughout the event.

Aside from these two major activities, I am still working on my idea of creating chess scholarships for winners at the OYCC that will be held in trust and applicable to post secondary education and nearly all colleges or universities in Canada. I believe I am close, but still need to find some good corporate support for this idea.
    (If you have an "in" with a potential corporate sponsor for this idea that combines chess and education for Ontario youth, please contact me so that we can work together on this.)

I would also like to stand for re-election as Youth Co-ordinator for the OCA.

Thank You,
    ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
    Patrick McDonald
    International Arbiter
    International Organizer