Thread: 03) President's Report

Blog Entries

Default 03) President's Report

President's Report goes here.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

For a number of reasons I found myself unable to be as active as my previous term. However, the thing I was most concerned with (our tax filings) has been completed just recently and the figures are now being double checked. I would like to extend a big thank you to Bob Gillanders for all of his hard work with this matter. Part of the reason I felt so compelled to see this through is that there has been some misappropriation of funding in the distant past and I wanted to make sure that we did not have any skeletons in our closet. I can say now with a great deal confidence that I do not believe we do; and that those unfortunate matters are finally behind us. I would also like to thank Brett for being a wonderful and trustworthy Treasurer for my two terms. In terms of the future of chess in Ontario, there were a number of initiatives that I unfortunately did not have the time to take on but am hopeful will be able to happen in the future. For example, the OCA team championship is one that will require a lot of work but is a really neat idea. On a slightly less positive note, it seems that participation and interest for the OCA dipped significantly when the last OCA AGM ended; even with issues that received a lot of attention. I recommend that for any future initiatives, people be named at the meeting rather than down the road. It was a pleasure to work with you all; and I wish the best for chess in Ontario.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Clark View Post
    For a number of reasons I found myself unable to be as active as my previous term. However, the thing I was most concerned with (our tax filings) has been completed just recently and the figures are now being double checked. I would like to extend a big thank you to Bob Gillanders for all of his hard work with this matter. Part of the reason I felt so compelled to see this through is that there has been some misappropriation of funding in the distant past and I wanted to make sure that we did not have any skeletons in our closet. I can say now with a great deal confidence that I do not believe we do; and that those unfortunate matters are finally behind us. I would also like to thank Brett for being a wonderful and trustworthy Treasurer for my two terms. In terms of the future of chess in Ontario, there were a number of initiatives that I unfortunately did not have the time to take on but am hopeful will be able to happen in the future. For example, the OCA team championship is one that will require a lot of work but is a really neat idea. On a slightly less positive note, it seems that participation and interest for the OCA dipped significantly when the last OCA AGM ended; even with issues that received a lot of attention. I recommend that for any future initiatives, people be named at the meeting rather than down the road. It was a pleasure to work with you all; and I wish the best for chess in Ontario.
    Thank you, Rob, for your kind words. Inspiring people around you to get our financial house in order is a big achievemenet you can be proud of. I will let you know, personally, when the OCA tax returns get processed! OCA needs more volunteers like you to improve the image of chess in Ontario.Good luck with your career.