Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 7b.Creation of a National Youth Coach position (Fred McKim / Vladimir Drkulec)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    I'm not sure why we're discussing a borderline "hiring" in public rather than in private.

In any case, none of my points from the private forum have been addressed satisfactorily. The proposal is bad from both of the angles you can look at it - the program itself is poorly designed, and the person proposing to run it (exclusively for 3 years!) has a bad track record.

The argument that it costs the CFC nothing and therefore has no negative potential is not a good one either. The person in question has already in the recent past used his official position with the CFC for personal reasons - something that should have gotten him removed immediately.

Mr. Porper is supposed to be fundraising for the CFC. What has he raised so far? I haven't heard about anything. I don't see a report from him. Now, before even doing anything with that fundraising job to benefit the CFC, he wants to switch his fundraising efforts to this project, which would have financial benefits for him personally.

If he really believes in the program, let him resign as CFC Fundraising Coordinator, and start the program on his own. If it is working out after a time, let him THEN apply for official CFC recognition. Exactly the same route the Ontario High School Chess Championships took with the OCA.
    I hadn't thought of the public / private thing on this Motion. You may have a point, but we've gone far enough now, that we continue in public.

I think the vacant Fund-raising position was a way to have Edward become a Governor mid-term. As Editor he had expressed an interest in many possible Nation-wide initiatives. He was elected near-unanimously. There was little expectation on at least my part that he had any fund-raising ambitions in this term. I'm sure he'd be willing to resign the Governor position, if asked by the Executive.

The question here is Edward's ability to launch this initiative and be an effective National Coach. The closest thing to this he has done in Canada was to act as a coach at the 2012 WYCC. So maybe dissatisfaction should be expressed towards his performance there.

Blog Entries

It seems to me that it is a bit unfair to criticize Edward for not being successful in the fundraising coordinator position he just started when it is difficult to argue that anyone has been entirely successful at fundraising for chess recently aside from a few youth oriented initiatives that achieved government funding or a few recent YCCs. Efforts like this might have the potential to change that dynamic by again tapping the appeal inherent in youth chess.

If he successfully launched such a program on his own I am not sure why he would then need official CFC recognition. As far as I recall the Ontario High School has been held quite successfully and almost continuously since at least the late 1960s and certainly by the early 1970s when I participated in four of them.

Default An RFP Situation

Quote Originally Posted by Félix Dumont View Post
    I was hoping for a more detailed proposition.

More than anyone else I wish a national coaching program, but the last time I voted without much details, I really regretted it.

I would like to suggest an amendment. We should go in RFP for this. Ideally, a committee formed by experienced teachers and organizers should evaluate the different applicants (if other people are interested). This way, we would have a good idea of what we are really going into.

I don't like the mentality of just "try and see". The CFC reputation is not very good among many players these days, and such a program, should it fail, would surely not help.
    I very much appreciate Edward presenting to the CFC a kind of model of what the job description of the CFC National Chess Coach might look like (even if it might be fleshed out with more details). I also appreciate Edward volunteering for such a position, if CFC would create the position, according to his model. CFC should never lightly dismiss volunteers, even where there may be some benefit also to the volunteer, as well as to CFC.

However, as I have stated previously, even if this position is a "commission" one, it is in my view, clearly a CFC "contract position", no different than our ED contract position, and our CCN contract position. CFC would be granting the individual the right to advertise that they are approved and supported ( even if not financially, directly) by the CFC - this is worth something, and CFC must be careful granting it. We clearly saw that these two new positions required a RFP. I clearly see that we should use the RFP process for this position - it is a matter of CFC transparency.

What are the benefits of RFP? One is that if more than one applicant applies, we may see a very different model to consider, whereas now we are just presented with one. Secondly, if we have more than one applicant, then we will have a choice of deciding who actually presents the best package for CFC purposes. Thirdly, Edward, with his proposal, can apply, and if it is true that not one other chess person in Canada is interested in the position, Edward will likely get it.

What are the downsides of an RFP? It takes some time and effort - a committee must be formed. Advertising for applicants must be done. The sytem takes some time to bring to conclusion. Where there are competing bids, an accurate analysis is required, which takes some work. The actual functioning of the position gets delayed 'til the end of the process, and any possible successful applicant notice period required for their exisitng job. All I can say about all this is that it is standard and transparent, and we just went through three RFP's in good time, and with good results.

I think an RFP is required here.

Bob A

The motion is ill-conceived and lacking in sufficient detail. I'll be voting "No".

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Craft View Post
    The motion is ill-conceived and lacking in sufficient detail. I'll be voting "No".
    I'm not sure why you call it ill-conceived, other than perhaps just not liking it. After extensive discussion with CFC President Michael V-K, Edward presented a proposal to the Executive. Now they could have simply approved it. In actual fact, I would say that other than Micahel and myself they were indifferent.

Michael then advised that the Governors could approve it (or not), so here we are. I am at least somewhat positive that a number of the negative voters, are in favour of the concept. An RFP would require the CFC to provide detail in terms of exactly what we are looking for. In any event I am still counting on a Yes vote to this motion from the Governors.

I have not seen any input from the current Youth Coordinator, nor previous ones regarding the motion or a coach position.

I move to amend (limit) the current motion to only "that the CFC establishes the National Youth Coach position to develop young Canadian chess talents."
    Not sure, but the position is a non-officer type per CFC Constitution.

I move to create a committee to issue the RFP for the National Youth Coach position if the above motion passes.

Looking for a seconder(s)
    .*-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    I have not seen any input from the current Youth Coordinator, nor previous ones regarding the motion or a coach position.

I move to amend (limit) the current motion to only "that the CFC establishes the National Youth Coach position to develop young Canadian chess talents."

I move to create a committee to issue the RFP for the National Youth Coach position if the above motion passes.

Presumably you will find a seconder. Yes, I would think that it is a non-officer position (in any event).

Default Seconding Egis' Amending Motion

Quote Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post

Hi Egis:

This is what I proposed earlier, and so I am happy to second this amending motion.

Bob A

Also - a "National Youth Coach" should have some knowledge of French. A perfect person for this type of position would be Montreal's Lefong Hua - fluently trilingual (the third language being the mother tongue of many of the youths' families).

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
    Also - a "National Youth Coach" should have some knowledge of French. A perfect person for this type of position would be Montreal's Lefong Hua - fluently trilingual (the third language being the mother tongue of many of the youths' families).
    This is why it might be a good idea to have different coaches for each province. However, I don't think any Quebec player would be interested in the proposed program (which is about 10 times more expensive then Team-Quebec).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast