Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 7a. Motions on Membership Renewals (Paul Leblanc / Lyle Craver)

Default 7a. Motions on Membership Renewals (Paul Leblanc / Lyle Craver)

Article 323: Backdating Membership: CFC renewals, if paid within four months after expiration of the previous membership, will be backdated to provide continuous membership.

In addition to Article 323, new members or returning members after an absence of more than four months do not receive a full year membership - their membership start is backdated to the first of the month in which they purchase their membership. This is the policy of the business office and is not part of the Handbook.

In our experience, these policies cause a lot of friction and ill will towards the CFC. They are also difficult to defend as after all, a one year membership should include at least one year's worth of membership, not as little as 11 months (or 8 months for returning members). Most people, when asked, view the 4 month backdating period as excessive. I am not aware of any other organizations which follow similar policies. The USCF, for example, forward dates new memberships (and I think also for returning members) to the first of the next month.

If memory serves, the policy articulated by Article 323 originated back when there was a quarterly print magazine and there were some issues with membership timing around that - hence the four month rule. That particular concern is no longer relevant.

The Handbook is also silent and ambiguous on just when a membership expires; e.g. 12:01am or 11:59pm on the day of expiry. This ambiguity should be removed.

In view of this, the following 3 motions are proposed:

Motion 1: Membership renewals, if paid within one calendar month of expiry, are deemed to be continuing membership and their new membership expiry will be 1 calendar year from the old expiry date.
    Motion 2: Membership purchases for new members and for returning members who are not considered continuous memberships have an expiry date of 1 calendar year from the 1st of the next month.
    Motion 3: The membership expiry is at 11:59pm of the day listed as the expiry date.

Further remarks:
    - A "No" vote on Motion 3 should probably be read as instructing the business office to make a policy of expiry being 12:01am of the day of expiry.
    - A policy of dating memberships from the exact day of purchase was considered but it is unclear to the author if there are possible software restrictions in the business office that mandate the first of the month as a membership date. Also, it seems likely that arguments about exactly which date a membership was purchased would arise which would cause unnecessary difficulties for the business office.
    Last edited by Lyle Craver; 03-31-2013 at 04:20 PM.

These motions were made without a seconder and I am happy to second them for discussion.

Governor Leblanc is seeking direction from the Governors with a view to introducing motions to this effect at the Annual General Meeting rather than a final vote at this meeting.

Blog Entries

If we can avoid being greedy and annoying in the eyes of members and potential members, it can only be seen as a good thing. The suggestions seem sensible to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    If we can avoid being greedy and annoying in the eyes of members and potential members, it can only be seen as a good thing. The suggestions seem sensible to me.
    Yes, of course we want to avoid looking greedy and annoying.
    However, the practice as outlined by Paul in his preamble is not correct.
    Last summer, after this issue raised it's ugly head again, I contacted Gerry to enquire as to the office practice of backdating of memberships. The answer I got sounded reasonable. For example the maximum backdating was 2 months, not 4.
    Also, when I investigated the membership renewal issues from the 2012 Grand Pacific Open, I discovered much of the problem was overstated.

I fear we maybe are trying to fix a problem that does not exist. I have been told this is only an issue in BC. Why is that?

Anyhow, I realize some of my information maybe incorrect. Could happen.
    Paul, can you give me an example where someone's membership renewal was backdated by 4 months? Bear in mind, that it does happen that players get in some tournaments under expired memberships. When they do finally renew, it is entirely appropriate to "backdate" their membership during the period when they played in tournaments!

Ottawa Ontario National Master Former Gov.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle Craver View Post
    The Handbook is also silent and ambiguous on just when a membership expires; e.g. 12:01am or 11:59pm on the day of expiry. This ambiguity should be removed.

In view of this, the following 3 motions are proposed:

Motion 1: Membership renewals, if paid within one calendar month of expiry, are deemed to be continuing membership and their new membership expiry will be 1 calendar year from the old expiry date.
    Motion 2: Membership purchases for new members and for returning members who are not considered continuous memberships have an expiry date of 1 calendar year from the 1st of the next month.
    Motion 3: The membership expiry is at 11:59pm of the day listed as the expiry date.

Further remarks:
    - A "No" vote on Motion 3 should probably be read as instructing the business office to make a policy of expiry being 12:01am of the day of expiry.
    - A policy of dating memberships from the exact day of purchase was considered but it is unclear to the author if there are possible software restrictions in the business office that mandate the first of the month as a membership date. Also, it seems likely that arguments about exactly which date a membership was purchased would arise which would cause unnecessary difficulties for the business office.
    At the moment I am strongly leaning towards voting "No" to Motion 3, but I also would wish for CFC membership expiry to occur at 12:00am precisely on the date of expiry regardless (0:00:00 hours military time, if there is a need to be clearer ). Is there a way to take this preference (or any other, such as 12:01am) as a voting option without formally amending motion 3?
    Last edited by Kevin Pacey; 04-01-2013 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Spelling of military time changed to 0:00:00 from 00:00

FYI - That is the current policy of the office.

Ottawa Ontario National Master Former Gov.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gillanders View Post

FYI - That is the current policy of the office.
    Do you know if that means expiry is at 11:59pm and 59 seconds (or 23:59:59 military time)?

Bob, are you telling me the office isn't following the directions laid down in the Handbook? If so, something is wrong.
    First we need to agree what the Handbook should say then we need the office to follow it.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

Kevin, can you expand on your opposition to the proposal? Do you agree with backdating members up to 4 months when they renew? Do you not want to have a policy on membership start date for new members? I see you agree with clarification of the membership expiry date. This isn't a motion, it is intended as a discussion leading to a potential motion at the AGM so I am very interested in getting your input on the above questions so I can prepare a motion that will get your support at the AGM.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
    Bob, are you telling me the office isn't following the directions laid down in the Handbook? If so, something is wrong.
    First we need to agree what the Handbook should say then we need the office to follow it.
    Hi Paul - Yes, I guess that is exactly what I am telling you. Thank's for bringing article 323 to my attention. This maybe the first time I have seen it, probably not, but my memory is not what it used to be. I do note however that 323 is not dated, so when did it get in the handbook anyway? It is probably very old, as the 4 months did make sense when we had a printed magazine.

I think we can look upon this as the office using some discretion in applying this policy, and not waiting for the governors to "catch up". At least as a former ED, that's how I'm going to view it. At this point in time, I think the consensus is 4 months is unreasonable.

Put myself in the shoes of the ED. A member who last played in say May 2012, and his membership expired Jan 1, 2013. He renews his membership to play in an April 2013 tournament. Are you really gonna backdate his membership? I wouldn't.

But, yes. Of course lets get the policy undated. Something reasonable and enforceable.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast