Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: YCC qualifiers

Does this mean that anybody anywhere can organize a Regional Qualifier that will send those over 50% directly to the CYCC?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    Does this mean that anybody anywhere can organize a Regional Qualifier that will send those over 50% directly to the CYCC?
    Yes, that is how I read the current rules.

In Windsor we had about 1000 kids playing in the Windsor Chess Challenge in February. In addition there were probably two or three times that number playing in elimination tournaments in clubs in the various schools to bring that number down to the 1000. We had no public school participation due to the teacher's job action. Last year 1400 kids played in the tournament with about half having been public school students. We still had some public school students but they registered as individuals without sanction of their schools. Most of the kids that went this route are hard core chess players who take lessons or play in local tournaments. On March 30th there is a playoff of 150 finalists who won gold or silver or finished with 6.5 points out of 8 in the WCC.

I can get a room that seats a maximum of about 30 to 40 kids to run a YCC. I can qualify about 15 to 20 kids at each tournament for CYCC. I plan on running multiple YCCs in Windsor depending on how many have qualified after OYCC at the end of April. Last year pretty much everyone qualified to go to CYCC via OYCC but we have about twice as many of what I consider serious young chess players this year.

Does anyone think that Windsor organizing multiple YCCs is a problem?
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 03-21-2013 at 02:28 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234