Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: YCC qualifiers

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Félix Dumont View Post
    I think it's pretty obvious the goal of the CYCC is to attract the players with the wealthiest parents and not actually the best players. Otherwise, the organizers would set reasonable entry fees and go into a most affordable hotel (since there's no deal for the double rooms, it would cost close to $150/night for a family). I think CMA showed how a national championship should be organized (with the Canadian Junior), and the NA Open in Toronto is very interesting.
    I think Felix is referring to the NAYCC which is being hosted in August by CMA in Toronto (details coming shortly). I believe entry is open to anyone who shows up, but I could be wrong on that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    I think Felix is referring to the NAYCC which is being hosted in August by CMA in Toronto (details coming shortly). I believe entry is open to anyone who shows up, but I could be wrong on that point.
    You are right, it's the NAYCC, not the NA Open. It is open to anyone, but I think that representatives might have some conditions (like free lodging?). That said, the format of the Canadian Junior is much more interesting, but obviously more expensive for the organizers.

Blog Entries

Interesting thread! Here is what is truly going on:

The BC Junior Coordinator Ken Jensen has had a tough argument with CFC about ratings for juniors; ever since he is making sure whatever he does takes advantage of any loophole he can find in the CFC Handbook and regulations. He is basically using his position - as local representative of CFC for junior chess - against its own organization. Examples:

1. BCYCC 2012 - there was a meeting during the tournament where he and his group convinced the majority to stop rating the event with CFC. In the end it was rated anyway because I paid for it from own pocket in good faith.

2. CYCC 2012 - another tournament where the main organizer person (Ken Jensen) refused to rate it with CFC (again I paid for that on my own); moreover he did not collect any CFC membership from any participant as we found out about later on at these forums.

3. BCYCC 2013 - the latest example in this saga. Ken did not register the tournament with Patrick McDonald. Questioned on it during the discussion on BC Chess Facebook page, he refused to rate it with CFC even after Mark Dutton and Patrick McDonald told him this is all he has to do after the fact. The point he is trying to make is to dare CFC to refuse the participation of the players scoring qualifying results in that tournament; if that happens it will be the final proof (in his view) how CFC regards chess in BC.

Not everyone in BC is on the same page with the current BC Junior Coordinator. Often we migth not like the decisions taken as result of mass voting at CFC; however reaching the point where an elected person starts acting against the organization it represents, it is critical and requires action. I hope BCCF and CFC will do the right thing! This cannot continue like this anymore.
    Last edited by Valer Eugen Demian; 03-15-2013 at 02:18 PM.
    Valer Eugen Demian
    FIDE CM & Instructor, ICCF IM
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ches...593013634?mt=8

Hi there, tonight, I am completing the event announcement for the qualifier in Ottawa. Would someone happen to know where I should send it, just Patrick, etc?

Thanks in advance, and best regards, Aris.

Thumbs up The Chess Federation of Canada's Youth Coordinator, Patrick McDonald, explains:

http://www.chess.ca/2013-cycc

Participate in a regional youth chess championship (YCC) and achieve a score that meets a minimum threshold. A 50% score is typically the standard for moving on to provincial and/or national competition. If a qualifier is unavailable in your area, it is easy to run your own!

The Chess Federation of Canada's Youth Coordinator, Patrick McDonald, explains:

I am happy to announce a new initiative to help encourage organizers such as yourself to organize more qualifiers to send Canadian youth to the Canadian Youth Chess Championships (CYCC).

We are trialing this year a new economical option for running your official qualifier: This new option will be just a $2 per registrant cost to be an official qualifier. As always, your qualifier needs to be registered as a qualifier with either me or the CFC office in advance of running it.

We would also like to announce your qualifier on the CFC website so a good advance notice of the event should be sent in to the office (and feel free to copy me in on it too).

So, the options open to you are as follows:

the full package of goodies* (medals, organizer shirt, give-aways for participants), with $6 per participant ($200 min, $400 max).
    the economy model, $2 per player, no minimum or maximum
    in both cases, if the ratings submission is other than electronic, there is an additional charge of $1 per player.

If you have any questions, please forward same to Patrick S McDonald, Youth Coordinator – Chess Federation of Canada - patrick@psmcd.net

* RE: "package of goodies"

CFC Agrees to:

send 36 medals (3 medals for each of the 12 sections)
    send 36 certificates for the winners
    send 1 CFC Organizers shirt
    send one sack (16 pieces) of key chains as small door prizes
    rate the tournament upon payment of dues

Organizer Agrees to:

mention CFC in media and publicity
    rate the tournament CFC
    pay dues after the tournament

Fee structure between CFC and Organizer:

After the tournament the organizer sends $6 per participant to the CFC but must send a minimum $200 and only to a maximum of $400. If the tournament is submitted electronically, there is no additional rating fee. If the submission is other than electronic, then organizers must pay $1 per player above the series dues.

http://www.chess.ca/2013-cycc

Attachment 188

If you have any questions, please forward same to Patrick S McDonald, Youth Coordinator – Chess Federation of Canada - patrick@psmcd.net

Hi Mark, thanks, but maybe I'm missing this, but where do I send the announcement to? Patrick? Gerry? And who do I tell what option that we are going for?

Best regards, Aris.

Also, is the faster CFC rating still called "Active", or is it now "Quick"?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    Also, is the faster CFC rating still called "Active", or is it now "Quick"?
    Aris: It's now called Quick Chess, but there are some hard wired spots on the web site that still refer to Active.

Thanks Fred, perfect explanation.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    Hi Mark, thanks, but maybe I'm missing this, but where do I send the announcement to? Patrick? Gerry? And who do I tell what option that we are going for?

Best regards, Aris.
    The rules I saw said you had to send it to Patrick or Gerry. I sent mine to both.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast