Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: YCC qualifiers

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    Clearly written two options:
    1. the full package of goodies (medals, organizer shirt, give-aways for participants), with $6 per participant ($200 min, $400 max).

2 the economy model, $2 per player, no minimum or maximum

+ rating fees (Junior tournaments (Regular or Quick) – If all players are juniors, CFC membership dues are not required. Rating fees are waived if using SwissSys to submit crosstables in CFC format)

+ announcement that it is a Qualifier.
    I'm not sure if the rating fee is required as long as the event meets option 1) or 2). Patrick could answer that.
    Last edited by Fred McKim; 03-14-2013 at 02:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    I'm not sure if the rating fee is required as long as the event meets option 1) or 2). Patrick could answer that.
    ok. then I'll edit my post. You make the same with my quote not to confuse others.
    .*-1

Blog Entries

I confirmed with Patrick that rating fees are absorbed in the costs of either option 1. or option 2.

Fred, the rating fee (50 cents /player) is included (if submitted via SwissSys) in either package 1 or 2.
    So there is no good reason why an organizer would chose not to CFC rate the event.

I'm more concerned as to why Vancouver feels it can qualify players for the CYCC without chipping in as all of the other CYCC's across Canada are doing ??
    The only provinces that are helding CFC rated YCC's every year in the last 10+ years are ON, AB and BC. There are 7 provinces with out a YCC in years. The only one with multiple YCC is Ontario. Before that it was just one OYCC organized by Patrick. It seemed unfair for Ontario organizers...so now everyone has the chance to organize an YCC. Seven provinces can qualify players without chipping in. If the organizer does not need the package from CFC or any other help what is the fee then for?

Now about "cheaping in" issue.

$3000 the cost of the trip for parent+child (I will not add the vacation time used)
    EF for CYCC $225/$250 ($150 of the entry fee is collected on behalf of the CFC)
    -------------------------
    94% of the kids (200 partricipants -12 champions) are getting a great life experience participating in a national championship and the right to go to WYCC if they have another $3000-$5000 to "cheap in" to the chess cause.

Blog Entries

The fee goes to the CFC Youth fund.

Perhaps you would be better served by breaking your tournament into rated and non-rated sections. Only players interested in actually going to the CYCC or wanting the better competition need enter the rated section. The provincial co-ordinator still decides which children qualify. Perhaps the threshold would then be 25% instead of 50%.

If you are playing G/30, then Quick Ratings are used.

Ultimately a change in the rules must be approved by the Board of Governors. Interpretations of the rules in cases like this are made by the Executive.

The fee goes to the CFC Youth fund.

Perhaps you would be better served by breaking your tournament into rated and non-rated sections. Only players interested in actually going to the CYCC or wanting the better competition need enter the rated section. The provincial co-ordinator still decides which children qualify. Perhaps the threshold would then be 25% instead of 50%.

If you are playing G/30, then Quick Ratings are used.

Ultimately a change in the rules must be approved by the Board of Governors. Interpretations of the rules in cases like this are made by the Executive.
    Just to clarify, I was not involved in organizing this year BCYCC and unfortunately my kids could not participate.

Where can I see the details about CFC Youth fund, in case is public available.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei Botez View Post
    Just to clarify, I was not involved in organizing this year BCYCC and unfortunately my kids could not participate.

Where can I see the details about CFC Youth fund, in case is public available.
    The web site has the CFC Financials
    http://chess.ca/sites/default/files/fiscals_2012.pdf
    which show the gross figures. This includes parents' contributions to hotels, etc

Bob Gillanders has done up detailed summaries for previous years. Maybe he can tell us if 2011/12 is complete.

Those questions should be addressed by the Youth Co-ordinator. I don't believe there is a committee at the moment.

It's not for me to say, but I think Patrick is stepping down at the AGM, so this topic should be addressed by candidates for 2013-14.
    Yes, questions about CYCC qualifier requirements should be addressed by the Youth Co-ordinator.

But who could address questions about Youth Committee Forum?
    This Forum was very active during 2009-2011 years.
    Even if it's defunct at the moment, it still contains very interesting information.
    Hopefully, it could be archived and open for the public or at least for it's contributors.

Thank you for your consideration!
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei Botez View Post
    The only provinces that are helding CFC rated YCC's every year in the last 10+ years are ON, AB and BC. There are 7 provinces with out a YCC in years. The only one with multiple YCC is Ontario. Before that it was just one OYCC organized by Patrick. It seemed unfair for Ontario organizers...so now everyone has the chance to organize an YCC. Seven provinces can qualify players without chipping in. If the organizer does not need the package from CFC or any other help what is the fee then for?

Now about "cheaping in" issue.

$3000 the cost of the trip for parent+child (I will not add the vacation time used)
    EF for CYCC $225/$250 ($150 of the entry fee is collected on behalf of the CFC)
    -------------------------
    94% of the kids (200 partricipants -12 champions) are getting a great life experience participating in a national championship and the right to go to WYCC if they have another $3000-$5000 to "cheap in" to the chess cause.
    I think it's pretty obvious the goal of the CYCC is to attract the players with the wealthiest parents and not actually the best players. Otherwise, the organizers would set reasonable entry fees and go into a most affordable hotel (since there's no deal for the double rooms, it would cost close to $150/night for a family). I think CMA showed how a national championship should be organized (with the Canadian Junior), and the NA Open in Toronto is very interesting.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast