Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 4b) Motion 2013-T Olympic Regulations (McKim/Rekhson) - discussion only

Taking in the consideration that several Governors seem to support parts of the motion but would tend to say "no" to the whole, I suggest that the motion parts should be voted for separately. That is,
    one vote for eliminating the Selection Committee as such;
    one vote for establishing that the Captain should be chosen by the Executive based on merit of the competitive program presented by the applicants.
    one vote for the ratings (CFC, FIDE or blended) to be used as the selection criterion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Porper View Post
    Taking in the consideration that several Governors seem to support parts of the motion but would tend to say "no" to the whole, I suggest that the motion parts should be voted for separately. That is,
    one vote for eliminating the Selection Committee as such;
    one vote for establishing that the Captain should be chosen by the Executive based on merit of the competitive program presented by the applicants.
    one vote for the ratings (CFC, FIDE or blended) to be used as the selection criterion.
    They are all being voted on individually

Why, then, do the governors say they will vote against the motion as a whole while supporing some parts of it?
    Is it a misunderstanding?

Why, then, do the governors say they will vote against the motion as a whole while supporing some parts of it?
    Is it a misunderstanding?
    Seems yes. I missed the first sentence "NOTE: I), II) and III) will be voted on separately." LOL
    .*-1

Seems like everybody did.

they must recognize that athletes have a right to know on what criteria their performance will be evaluated (placing or points accumulated at specific events, official rankings, participation qualifying events, etc.) Coaches must use their expertise and technical knowledge of their sport to support the development of clear and comprehensive team selection policies by their NSO.

Perfect! Does one need any more proof that the so-called Selection Committee stands in a way of each and every principle outlined in this document?!

I agree that the Team Captain should be appointed by the CFC Executive based on the qualifications of each applicant. I also agree that the team should comprise the Canadian Champion and the highest rated players. Having a committee substitute a lower rated player seems unfair. I disagree with using FIDE ratings because I want to encourage our strong players to play in CFC events and because I believe our rating system is sound.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

Another interesting quote.

Some form of subjectivity is permissible when selecting a team for a major event. Team selection in team sports can involve intangible factors like cohesion and chemistry; therefore, discretion and subjectivity are not necessarily inappropriate. Nonetheless, the selection process must not be so subjective as to make it difficult for the athletes to understand the factors being evaluated

they must recognize that athletes have a right to know on what criteria their performance will be evaluated (placing or points accumulated at specific events, official rankings, participation qualifying events, etc.) Coaches must use their expertise and technical knowledge of their sport to support the development of clear and comprehensive team selection policies by their NSO.

Perfect! Does one need any more proof that the so-called Selection Committee stands in a way of each and every principle outlined in this document?!

Pierre, the problem is that in this particular case subjectivity is nothing but bias, to choose the mildest word.
    Teplitsky didn't want Eric to be on the team because Eric didn't belong to the so-called "Russian school" Teplitsky considered himself belonging to. That was enough for this selector to call Eric a "club player"!
    If the committee is kept, there is no guarantee it won't happen again - in many different forms, for many different reasons. Personal bias combined with a total lack of responsibility (whatever happens at the Olympiad, the Selectors - and for that matter, the Captains under current rules - have nothing to gain or lose) is an ultimate poison. And we have Kevin to account for it, if nothing else.
    For the sake of everything that is healthy and sound in Canadian chess, these motions should pass. That is, the committee should be disbanded once and forever - and the Captains should be chosen on merit, NOT on whim. There can be no team chemistry and no success without that...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast