Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 4b) Motion 2013-T Olympic Regulations (McKim/Rekhson) - discussion only

Default 4b) Motion 2013-T Olympic Regulations (McKim/Rekhson) - discussion only

NOTE: I), II) and III) will be voted on separately.

I) Selection Rules and Role of Team Captain

1) 904 (f) In title alter "Election" to "Appointment" .... Delete "The players shall submit their votes for Team Captains" and replace by "The Team Captain will be appointed"

2) 908 Selection of Team Captains

(a) For each team the CFC Executive will receive applications from interested individuals.

(b) Applications must be received by 105 days before the start of the Olympiad.

(c) The best candidate for the position(s) will be chosen by the executive or a sub-committee, taking into account the duties of the captains as outlined in 913.

3) 913 Add (b) Aiding with game analysis and preparation for upcoming opponents. Reorder other sections.

II) Appointment of Advisory Committee

904 a) Appointment of Advisory Committee

The CFC Executive shall appoint an Olympic Advisory Committee (905) no later than 180 days before the start of the Olympiad.

904 b) Selection of Players

The composition of the Teams shall be calculated by the Olympic Coordinator according to rules (906) & (907) no later than 165 days before the start of the Olympiad.

905. The Advisory Committee

The CFC Executive shall appoint an Olympic Advisory Committee consisting of three well known and respected individuals who will act as a think tank and assist in any fund-raising and/or public awareness an/or strategic efforts.

a), b), c) - remove -

906 b) National Team

ii) the four highest players from the selection rating list

iii) - remove -

906 c) Women's Team

ii) the four highest players from the selection rating list

iii) - remove -

III) Removal of CFC ratings from Olympic Criteria

906 a) Eligibility

iii) change CFC rated or FIDE rated to FIDE rated

907 Selection Ratings

Selection of players for the Teams by rating shall be based on the highest published FIDE rating (from monthly FIDE lists) during the year prior to the start of the selection process (which begins 180 days before the start of the Olympiad).

a) - remove -
    Last edited by Michael von Keitz; 01-20-2013 at 04:14 AM.

Default Elimination of the Olympiad Selection Committee??

Elimination of the Olympiad Selection Committee??

I don't think I can support this motion ( though there are parts of it I would support if they were in a separate motion ).

I still think the purpose of the Selection Committee is very sound - to build a very small flexibility into the Olympiad team selection process. The Committee is free to chose the next player qualifying by rating if it so chooses. But it also allows Canada to bring in a clearly underrated player, who equals in strength the rating selected team members.

But I don't think the Committee should ever be selecting more than one member of the team. The Rating Selection should be the objective norm that generally applies to the majority of team positions.

But we should keep the door open for the system to take advantage of the unusual circumstance.
    It is true that the decision of the Selection Committee is subjective, and that the Committee members are asked to set aside any prejudices or vested interests, and be “ objective “ to the extent possible. In the past, this has sometimes been the case, sometimes some claim the Committee fell below this standard. But the risk is worth the benefit here in my opinion.

Bob A

Why do we want to remove CFC rating as a selection criteria? For Canadian players, it is more accurate then FIDE rating.

I strongly object to this continued attack on the CFC rating system.
    CFC ratings should be a strong factor is Olympic team selection.
    Deleting it from consideration puts players who support chess in Canada by playing in Canada at a disadvantage.
    I will be voting NO.

I will support this motion. We need the strongest team possible, not the team made of those who managed to play in the most tournaments during the year and have the biggest inflation.
    However, is there still a spot for the Canadian Closed Winner?

Why do we want to remove CFC rating as a selection criteria? For Canadian players, it is more accurate then FIDE rating.
    If you remove "Canadian" and replace it by "Ontarian", your statement might be a little bit closer to the truth.

Any strong player can confirm you that it is nearly impossible to judge one's strength on his CFC rating.

Did you know that the national team of France is selected by a single person? Its Olympiad result are quite impressive. In this case, the integrity of this single person is paramount.

I could also support parts of this motion if it was separated. With the FIDE licence for players in mind, the number of FIDE rated tournament in Canada could be decreasing sharply.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    Elimination of the Olympiad Selection Committee??

I don't think I can support this motion ( though there are parts of it I would support if they were in a separate motion ).

I still think the purpose of the Selection Committee is very sound - to build a very small flexibility into the Olympiad team selection process. The Committee is free to chose the next player qualifying by rating if it so chooses. But it also allows Canada to bring in a clearly underrated player, who equals in strength the rating selected team members.

But I don't think the Committee should ever be selecting more than one member of the team. The Rating Selection should be the objective norm that generally applies to the majority of team positions.

Blog Entries

In the previous meeting there seemed to be a general consensus that going to FIDE ratings would be more consistent and add as more of an equalizer, removing perhpas minor CFC events from skewing results.

I think that the selection committee is still needed. Rating is good but not an absolute criteria.

However, I may support an only-FIDE-rating clause.

Moving: to split the motion to two separate motions:
    a. Committee part
    b. FIDE part.
    .*-1

Thumbs up support chess in Canada!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
    I strongly object to this continued attack on the CFC rating system.
    CFC ratings should be a strong factor is Olympic team selection.
    Deleting it from consideration puts players who support chess in Canada by playing in Canada at a disadvantage.
    I will be voting NO.
    Well said, Bob!
    I completely agree with you on this issue!
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Blog Entries

This really seems like almost an omnibus motion! There are many parts, some which are much more controversial than others. I'm glad to see the separate votes, but I find the naming of II "Appointment of Advisory Committee" to be a little misleading... As in reality that is not the biggest change being made by that part of the motion.

I support the minor housekeeping type stuff.

I support the Selection Committee getting to pick no more than one player for the team, which would be a compromise between what we have now and what this proposes.

I absolutely do not support the removal of the CFC ratings system from the equation.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast