View Poll Results: Should the CFC Newsletter Committee Report be adopted, I:

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • support Edward Porper's contract being extended to April 2014.

14 45.16%
  • support an RFP going out, with a hiring decision being made for a 1 May 2013 start at the latest.

13 41.94%
  • abstain.

4 12.90%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VOTING BOOTH: 9B) Ratification of CFC Newsletter Committee Report - Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    Obviously somebody can vote for themselves in a political election.

In this case now that Edward is an officer (Fund Raising Officer) he falls under the conflict of interest rule. Nothing is simple. He has openly admitted to voting for himself, saving Lyle the trouble of looking through these while the election is in progress. We can subtract one from the YES side, unless Lyle comes on and tells us he has adjusted it.
    It goes without saying that I would abide by the rules but I must admit to failing to see a difference: aren't politicians public officers as well?
    Why aren't CFC officers allowed to do something public officers in politics are morally and legally entitled to?

Obviously somebody can vote for themselves in a political election.

In this case now that Edward is an officer (Fund Raising Officer) he falls under the conflict of interest rule. Nothing is simple. He has openly admitted to voting for himself, saving Lyle the trouble of looking through these while the election is in progress. We can subtract one from the YES side, unless Lyle comes on and tells us he has adjusted it.
    The situation is as Fred has stated. I believe the tally currently reflects the inclusion of Edward's vote. I will confer with Lyle when voting closes this evening, prior to the release of results, to confirm where we stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Porper View Post
    It goes without saying that I would abide by the rules but I must admit to failing to see a difference: aren't politicians public officers as well?
    Why aren't CFC officers allowed to do something public officers in politics are morally and legally entitled to?
    Essentially, it can be construed as using your position in an attempt to unfairly derive a financial benefit. Under such circumstances, whether required or not, it is always best to abstain from voting and, ideally, refrain from influencing any discussion on the decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael von Keitz View Post
    Essentially, it can be construed as using your position in an attempt to unfairly derive a financial benefit. Under such circumstances, whether required or not, it is always best to abstain from voting and, ideally, refrain from influencing any discussion on the decision.
    OK, understood.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Porper View Post
    OK, understood.
    Edward, you will find this story amusing.

Back during my presidency, I was casting my vote as I had assumed was my right. Nobody said anything.
    Then I happened to be reading the handbook on an unrelated topic, and discovered to my astonishment, the CFC President does not have the right to vote at quarterly meetings. Surprise, surprise.

I alerted the Governors by posing the question: Should the President be allowed to vote?
    The initial reaction was "of course". But then, somebody actually went to the rulebook and discovered what I had. Next, I was lambasted for having voted up to then. Of course, I immediately stopped voting. Hilarious, eh!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
    Edward, you will find this story amusing.

Back during my presidency, I was casting my vote as I had assumed was my right. Nobody said anything.
    Then I happened to be reading the handbook on an unrelated topic, and discovered to my astonishment, the CFC President does not have the right to vote at quarterly meetings. Surprise, surprise.

I alerted the Governors by posing the question: Should the President be allowed to vote?
    The initial reaction was "of course". But then, somebody actually went to the rulebook and discovered what I had. Next, I was lambasted for having voted up to then. Of course, I immediately stopped voting. Hilarious, eh!
    Well put, Robert - "hilarious" is indeed the word!

Blog Entries

The Editor position is not part of the CFC Political / Governance system.

The Editor position is not part of the CFC Political / Governance system.
    I don't think anyone made that claim. Edward now holds the position of Fundraising Officer, however, which is part of that system.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael von Keitz View Post
    I don't think anyone made that claim. Edward now holds the position of Fundraising Officer, however, which is part of that system.
    Yes. That is the entire point. As an officer of the CFC one would have to abstain if applying for a staff position. While it has the feel of an election, it is an actual contract we're deciding on. I would think that even a regular governor would have to abstain if trying to enter into a paid contract with the CFC.

Yes. That is the entire point. As an officer of the CFC one would have to abstain if applying for a staff position. While it has the feel of an election, it is an actual contract we're deciding on. I would think that even a regular governor would have to abstain if trying to enter into a paid contract with the CFC.
    In that case, I guess I just don't see what point you are addressing. This seems to be the essence of what was already discussed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12