Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: 8. New Business

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Porper View Post
    You would be right, Michael, if the Closed were indeed Closed. Limit it to 10 or 16 qualifiers from the provincials +past champions and possibly, a couple of highest rated players - and I am fully with you on that.
    As such, it would indeed be the most important chess tournament for Canadians. As it is, it's just another Open where EVERYBODY has to pay an entry fee, and there are essentially no conditions. No wonder, not everybody can afford it. Besides, it would be too late for any _current_ Olympiad - would you automatically disqualify someone who didn't play a year ago? Or even two years?
    I think that the selection should be current - apart from being fair and transparent, of course.
    Why should we limit participation?
    The more players - the better!
    IMHO, every Canadian master deserves to play at Canadian Closed.

As for conditions...
    Hopefully, new Fundraising Coordinator could find a sponsor which will provide decent conditions for all Canadian Closed participants...

Of course, the selection should be current!
    Next Olympiad will be in August 2014.
    Canadian Closed 2013 could be a qualifier for Olympiad 2014.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Blog Entries

Perhaps a blended approach might be suggested. The top CFC rated player, the top FIDE rated player and the top FQE rated player plus the top two players at the Canadian Closed with any remaining spots determined by FIDE rating. If a player qualifies by multiple criteria his spot doesn't move to the next in line but goes to the next highest rated FIDE player not qualified by another means.

Olympiad Selection List using blended approach
    1. Bator Sambuev qualifies by Canadian Closed and Highest CFC
    2. Anton Kovalyev qualifies by highest FIDE and highest FQE rating among active players and also 2nd place at Canadian Closed
    3. Eric Hansen qualifies by next highest FIDE rating.
    4. Leonid Gerzhoy qualifies by next highest FIDE rating among those not qualified otherwise.
    5. Nikolay Noritsyn qualifies by next highest FIDE rating.
    6. Aman Hambleton qualifies by next highest FIDE rating.
    7. Tomas Krnan qualifies by next highest FIDE rating. (Rabinovich hasn't played the requisite number of games)
    8. Edward Porper qualifies by next highest FIDE rating.
    9. Raja Panjwani qualifies by next highest FIDE rating.
    10. Bindi Cheng qualifies by next highest FIDE rating.

TOP 12 by FIDE

1 Kovalyov, Anton Verdun, QC 2606
    2 Hansen, Eric Calgary, AB 2568
    3 Sambuev, Bator Montreal, QC 2510
    4 Gerzhoy, Leonid Toronto, ON 2484
    5 Noritsyn, Nikolay Richmond Hill, ON 2464
    6 Hambleton, Aman Ottawa, ON 2462
    7 Rabinovich, Alex Thornhill, ON 2423
    8 Krnan, Tomas Burlington, ON 2420
    9 Porper, Edward Edmonton, AB 2416
    10 Panjwani, Raja Kitchener, ON 2402
    11 Cheng, Bindi Toronto, ON 2397
    12 Samsonkin, Artiom Toronto, ON 2397

Top Players by CFC Rating

1 Sambuev, Bator Montreal, QC 2684
    2 Kovalyov, Anton Verdun, QC 2638
    3 Noritsyn, Nikolay Richmond Hill, ON 2598
    4 Hansen, Eric Calgary, AB 2588
    5 Krnan, Tomas Burlington, ON 2576
    6 Gerzhoy, Leonid Toronto, ON 2571
    7 Hambleton, Aman Ottawa, ON 2571
    8 Samsonkin, Artiom Toronto, ON 2547
    9 Panjwani, Raja Kitchener, ON 2517
    10 Porper, Edward Edmonton, AB 2490
    11 Cheng, Bindi Toronto, ON 2485
    12 Doroshenko, Maxim Vancouver, BC 2482

Top FQE ratings

1 50264 LESIEGE Alexandre 2587.26 Montréal
    2 100535 KOVALYOV Anton 2586.25 Montérégie
    3 100539 SAMBUEV Bator 2579.25 Montréal
    4 102390 CASTELLANOS Renier 2516.25 Montréal
    5 91708 CHARBONNEAU Pascal 2509.25 Montréal
    6 48295 ROUSSEL-ROOZMON Thomas 2466.24 Montréal
    7 10012 COUDARI Camille 2432.24 Montréal
    8 10495 HEBERT Jean 2417.25 Montérégie
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 01-07-2013 at 12:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Barron View Post
    Why should we limit participation?
    The more players - the better!
    IMHO, every Canadian master deserves to play at Canadian Closed.

As for conditions...
    Hopefully, new Fundraising Coordinator could find a sponsor which will provide decent conditions for all Canadian Closed participants...

Of course, the selection should be current!
    Next Olympiad will be in August 2014.
    Canadian Closed 2013 could be a qualifier for Olympiad 2014.
    Words have meanings, Michael, don't you think? :-)
    Closed is something that is _not for everybody_, by definition. It's a privilege that should be earned, not bought!
    That said, I personally don't mind Canadian Closed 2013 becoming THE qualifier - because there is no way it can become A qualifier. There is simply no time to consider Canadian Closed 2014 for the same purpose. And, as you understand, if that is voted for, no quantum leap would allow _anybody_ who didn't do well in this particular tournament to make the team a year later :-)
    As for the new FC, I'll do my best - yet it's not worth confusing me with God gracious...

I think the blended CFC/FIDE formula is quite fair, and irons out a few of the wrinkles that would exist if only one or the other rating system is used. I'd stick with the status quo ( Hate it when I have to be conservative LOL ).

Bob A

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
    Nobody I know in BC travels to Europe except Michael Yip and he doesn't play in BC!
    Did Jason Cao move out of BC? LOL
    It was his CFC rating got a boost to match the FIDE rating, if I remember correctly.
    Recently he came back from Europe (World Championship, SLO).
    .*-1

Blog Entries

I think the time to change the general qualification method for the Rating Selection List is getting very short. Probably any major change would work for the next Olympiad.

Eleimation of the selection committee or directed instructions / rules on the 5th player can still be changed during the selection rating period (I would think) as it doesn't effect that part of the regulations.

Words have meanings, Michael, don't you think? :-)
    Closed is something that is _not for everybody_, by definition. It's a privilege that should be earned, not bought!
    Yes, Edward, words have meanings.
    Yes, Closed is something that is _not for everybody_, by definition.
    Canadian master is _not everybody_, by definition, don't you think?

I personally don't mind Canadian Closed 2013 becoming THE qualifier - because there is no way it can become A qualifier. There is simply no time to consider Canadian Closed 2014 for the same purpose. And, as you understand, if that is voted for, no quantum leap would allow _anybody_ who didn't do well in this particular tournament to make the team a year later :-)
    I wouldn't be so strict...
    IMHO, Bator Sambuev and Eric Hansen deserve to be on the team for their results in 2012 and 2011, even if they don't make top 5 in Canadian Closed 2013 for some reason.
    But remaining 3 spots on the team should be defined by Canadian Closed 2013.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

I have some problems with the Canadian Closed being the only way to qualify. It costs a lot to travel, and some players might not be able to afford it. Unless we somehow manage to invite all of the best players and pay for the expenses, I don't see how we could qualify the participants at the Canadian Closed. Obviously, when the Canadian Closed is in the East, very few players from B.-C. or Alberta can participate and vice versa if it is held in the West.

I think I would support Vladimir's idea though, since most players will be determined by the FIDE rating.
    Last edited by Félix Dumont; 01-07-2013 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    Perhaps a blended approach might be suggested. The top CFC rated player, the top FIDE rated player and the top FQE rated player plus the top two players at the Canadian Closed with any remaining spots determined by FIDE rating.
    Thank you, Vlad!
    Your blended approach make sense.
    I would support it, with a small modification:
    "... with any remaining spots determined by placement at the Canadian Closed, using FIDE rating as a tiebreaker."
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Blog Entries

Why not leave the current rating qualifications as-is (except moving to 20 games for the National but not the Womens team yet) but replace the Selection Committee pick with the 2nd-place at the Canadian Closed?
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456