Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 7b. MOTION: 2013 WYCC (Bunning/Ritchie) - commentary only

Default 7b. MOTION: 2013 WYCC (Bunning/Ritchie) - commentary only

that in view of the shorter time period between the 2013 CYCC and the WYCC. and in view of the difficulty in booking airline flights and obtaining visas on such short notice the CFC executive may authorise the higher rated players in each competition category to attend the WYCC as Canadian representatives at their own expense provided that these players subsequently participate in the 2013 CYCC in Ottawa.

There is a posting on chesstalk suggesting the dates for the WYCC may have been changed. Can anyone confirm or deny that?

I don't like this motion because it is too vague - 'the higher rated players' - what does that mean? More to the point who gets to decide what that means. Without clarification I can't support this.

It may well be that this motion is unecessary because it now seems likely that the WYCC will be moved to December. I have no objection to this motion being put over to the April on line governors meeting as it can be withdrawn if there is confirmation that the WYCC is moved to December. To answer Lyles concern, it was designed to give discretion to the executive . A more comprehensive definition of 'the higher rated players' would be difficult given the young ages and rapid improvement of some of the younger players.
    Les Bunning

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
    There is a posting on chesstalk suggesting the dates for the WYCC may have been changed. Can anyone confirm or deny that?
    http://www.fide.com/images/stories/N...E_Calendar.pdf

If you look at the revised Calendar update in and among the entries for August 2013 it shows the WYCC as scheduled for December 17th to 29th, 2013.

The regular FIDE calendar has removed the WYCC entry.

http://www.fide.com/index.php?option...lendar&ny=2013

There is more important question related to 2013 CYCC:
    the number of rounds.

There is a long discussion on ChessTalk, where a vast majority of potential players and their parents favor 7th round on Saturday morning:
    http://www.chesstalk.info/forum/show...61210#poststop

The question for the 2013 CYCC organizers:
    Is it possible to have 7th round on Saturday morning?
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

What do people think of FUTURE bids (2014 onward) requiring the decoupling of the CYCC and CO? That might hurt the CO, but it would probably help the CYCC?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    What do people think of FUTURE bids (2014 onward) requiring the decoupling of the CYCC and CO? That might hurt the CO, but it would probably help the CYCC?
    The two are not really coupled. I think the merits of each bid should take precedence over any such blanket policy and I think in general that they have. Usually there is one and occasionally two bidders for each event. I would rather see a coupled bid that reduces costs for both tournaments than no bid for one or the other tournament.

Yes, these 2 events are not really coupled.
    Last 5 years they were organized by different groups in different places.
    In fact, the last time they were coupled was in Ottawa 2007...

One more point for consideration for future CYCC bids - is more convenient calendar.
    FIDE is moving WYCC to August - September.
    Year after year CYCC in July conflicts with PanAm YCC scheduled for the same month.
    Many national federations organize their national YCCs in March - April.

Would it be beneficial for Canadian youth chess to follow the suit?
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

There were a handful of postings on chesstalk which supported a seven round event. I suspect that these were not from a representative group because there were many other postings which did not advocate any particular number of rounds. Our committee includes a parents representative who is in contact with a group of interested parents. 6 rounds is easily enough to determine a winner and there will be a playoff round on saturday morning if this proves to be necessary. Instead of a seventh round we will be holding a fun event for all of the CYCC participants. We expect this to be of interest to all of the participants rather than the few who would be interested in a seventh round. Nevertheless we will canvass the players and parents at this years event so there preferences can be cosidered in the future. I have 4 children and it was often difficult to find time for all of there activities.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast