Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 6d. Officer + Committee Reports - NFP Act Transition Committee

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gillanders View Post

Does this proposal effectively move the responsibility for voting on motions from the former Governors to the new Board of Directors?
    Yes it does. Under the current Act, the members can exercise the power of the Directors with a unanimous members agreement. It would be ludicrous to believe that all current CFC members could agree on something. It is unlikely that there is any other way to transfer powers between Directors and members.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
    Please do not construe these questions as criticism. In recent years we have seen lots of discussion around these issues, and I am quite surprised that this thread has not generated more heated discussion. Better to discuss it early on to avoid surprises later.
    Maybe we should table this motion to the April meeting. We are in the holiday season and many Governors are likely in vacation.

The Governors Sign-in id too low for a 2/3 motion ratification.
    Last edited by Pierre Dénommée; 01-03-2013 at 05:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    Maybe we should table this motion to the April meeting. We are in the holiday season and many Governors are likely in vacation.

The Governors Sign-in id too low for a 2/3 motion ratification.
    I disagree. I see 29 governors signed in, typical for a quarterly meeting.
    The committee is here and answering questions, no need to delay things.

You are right. I have counted the number of replies in the Sing-in thread rather then the answers to the survey.

If we are to vote on this, we should begin to propose amendments. As it is, I will have to vote against the report.

Blog Entries

If we are to vote on this, we should begin to propose amendments. As it is, I will have to vote against the report.
    It's not really an amendment, but I'll propose a motion that the committee (or a new committee) be required to give us a series of changes that make us compliant with the new law with no other changes included.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

I second the motion. But obviously, it cannot be introduced before the next meeting and it would become moot if this motion passes.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    It's not really an amendment, but I'll propose a motion that the committee (or a new committee) be required to give us a series of changes that make us compliant with the new law with no other changes included.

This motion is about unwisely giving near absolute power to a very small board of Directors. Furthermore, we have voted against a Code of Ethics for Governors. I accept the vote and I have no intention to propose or second a motion to enact a Code of Ethics. Nevertheless, giving absolute power to a board without a Code of Ethics is certainly unacceptable. The Code must exist before we give such power to the Board and it must be protected from modification by the Board.

Over the years I have had moments of frustration over seeming inability to move forward on issues due to lack of agreement or lack of Gov involvement. I understand the effort to streamline the CFC process and thank the committee for all their work on this issue.
    I will probably vote against this motion however as I believe it provides more power to the President and the Board than is necessary for a smooth and transparent organization.

Blog Entries

I second the motion. But obviously, it cannot be introduced before the next meeting and it would become moot if this motion passes.
    It's hard to say since we have no actual motion to amend. Just some hint that there will be a motion to ratify or accept the framework.

Therefore, I will propose the following amendment to whatever that motion is:

"Rather than ratifying or accepting the report, the committee is instead directed to propose an alternative which meets the minimum requirements of the new NFP laws and regulations, while making the minimum required changes to the CFC constitution, bylaws and regulations. This additional report shall be presented to governors no later than March 18th (14 days prior to the start of the next online meeting)."
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast