Thread: 6c. Officer + Committee Reports - Rating Auditor

Default 6c. Officer + Committee Reports - Rating Auditor

Rating Auditor's Report goes here.

I'm pleased to say that the rating system, including the new bonus point system, is functioning well and there are no noticeable signs of inflation or deflation.
    The average rating of all players above 1200 active in the past 12 months is currently 1728 and has barely budged since the third quarter of 2009 (Q3/09).
    The median rating of the top 100 players is 2340. That is also unchanged since Q3/09.
    The average rating for all players active in the past 12 months is 1350. This figure has increased about 200 points since Q3/09. This is mostly a result of junior events being rated Active instead of Regular and the resultant drop in extremely low rated juniors. The juniors that have continued to play Regular rated games have, as expected, continued to rake in more than their share of bonus points. There are far fewer under-rated juniors now.

I noticed a short discussion on Chess Talk about instituting rating floors and the President has asked me to think about that. I have asked my contact on the USCF rating committee for comments since the USCF does use rating floors. Anyone with any thoughts about the pros or cons is welcome to comment here.

Last summer, Victor Plotkin asked me to look at the gap between FIDE and CFC ratings for strong players. I did a cursory analysis of USCF/CFC/FIDE ratings after obtaining data from the USCF. I observed that USCF and CFC ratings are roughly equivalent for all players and it indeed appears that CFC ratings for strong players are 50-100 points higher than their FIDE ratings. I consulted the Masters' Representative who did not feel that any action to reduce the top players' CFC ratings across the board would be well received so I have left this on the back burner for now.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

Hi Paul, I would like to discuss the last point a bit. Sorry for my ignorance, but who is the Masters' Representative, and do you know who he discussed this with?

Thanks and regards, Aris.

Blog Entries

Hello Aris,

I am the Masters Representative. I did speak to Victor Plotkin about this issue and he indicated that it was a problem in that USCF tournament organizers and directors were taking Canadian ratings at par to decide eligibility for prizes. I brought the idea up with several people rated over 2000 and did not see any support for the idea of lowering CFC ratings to match them to FIDE ratings. If anything the response was quite negative to the idea. If we lowered the CFC ratings and suddenly Canadians started winning more class prizes in USCF play, they would probably just add 100 points to CFC ratings in USCF play as they did at one time. There would also be the issue of people whose CFC rating was lower than their FIDE rating. For mature players the USCF ratings are about equivalent to CFC ratings from what I have seen. I have been playing in more USCF events than CFC of late so I get a front row seat. At lower rating classes it seems to me that all of our Windsor kids have USCF ratings that are higher than their Canadian rating with the gaps in some cases as much as 150 to 200 points.

I don't think that there is a groundswell of opinion supporting any adjustment of ratings since Victor is the only one who brought it up to me at any point and the only person that I have seen or heard support the idea. I think that Hal Bond may have suggested the idea of going solely to FIDE ratings at one point but again most of the feedback was not supporting that idea.
    Last edited by Vladimir Drkulec; 01-01-2013 at 08:32 PM.

Hi Vlad, thanks for explaining the USCF-event-prize angle, which I had never thought of.

Blog Entries

I should be clear that the USCF and CFC ratings are probably equivalent along most of the rating spectrum. We have a special case in the Windsor kids as they tend to thrive in a larger rating pool where they are freed from the constraints of their only known natural chess predators - each other. Their CFC ratings are somewhat depressed because they mostly play against each other in CFC play and for the most part the top group is quite evenly matched. Most of the rating gains the kids experience come from playing outside of Windsor. Our kids have consistently been winning the class prizes in many Detroit area USCF events even though their USCF ratings are much higher than their CFC ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Leblanc View Post
    The median rating of the top 100 players is 2340. That is also unchanged since Q3/09..
    Do you really mean MEDIAN (approx it would be a rating of the 50th player)? According to the latest list in the December Newsletter the 50th player had 2301.

Do you have a mean (average) and a standard deviation of the top 100 players over several years?
    .*-1