Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5b. Executive Reports - FIDE Rep

Default 5b. Executive Reports - FIDE Rep

FIDE Rep's Report goes here.

FIDE Report – January 2013

My report covers 3 main topics: Arbiters’ Licences, the 2013 WYCC and bids for upcoming FIDE events.
    Arbiters’ Licence.

As of January 1 this year, all FIDE rated events require a FIDE licenced Arbiter. A one time licence fee must be paid by the Arbiter to the CFC and the CFC will forward the fees to FIDE. The licence fee is based on the category of the Arbiters. Note that “National Arbiters” require a licence fee of only €20, and that the licencing process in ongoing. Additional licence fees are payable 1.) if the Arbiter becomes inactive and then reactivates, or 2.) if the Arbiter’s category has been upgraded. The full text follows:

6.1 A titled active Arbiter (International Arbiter or FIDE Arbiter) and a National Arbiter working in a FIDE rated tournament shall be charged with a “licence fee”.
    6.2.1 The licence will be valid for life, on the condition the arbiter remains an active arbiter, and will be in effect from the day after FIDE has received the fee.
    6.2.2 The licence fee for National Arbiters is valid for life.
    6.2.3 If a National Arbiter is awarded the title of “FIDE Arbiter” the licence fee for this title has to be paid to FIDE.
    6.2.4 If an arbiter upgrades his/her category only the difference between the category fee has to be paid to FIDE.
    6.2.5 If a “FIDE Arbiter” achieves the title of “International Arbiter”, the fee for the new title has to be paid to FIDE.
    6.3 The licence fee will be:
    a) for A’ Category Arbiters (only IAs): 300 €
    b) for B’ Category Arbiters (only IAs): 200 €
    c) for C’ Category Arbiters: IAs 160 €
    FAs 120 €
    d) for D’ Category Arbiters: IAs 100 €
    FAs 80 €
    e) for National Arbiters 20 €
    6.4 Failure to pay the licence fee will lead to exclusion from the FIDE Arbiters’ list.
    6.5 The Arbiters’ licence will come into effect from 01. 01. 2013.
    6.6 From 01. 01. 2013 all arbiters of FIDE rated tournaments shall be licensed.
    6.7.1 An arbiter who has become inactive (see annex 2, articles 1.3 and 1.4) is considered not to be licensed anymore and will be transferred to the list of inactive arbiters.
    6.7.2 In order to be active again the inactive arbiter has to pay for a new licence, according to 6.3
    6.8 If the article 6.6 is not fulfilled, the tournaments shall not be rated.
    6.9 From 01. 01. 2013 the licence fee will be charged together with the application fee for all new awarded arbiter titles.

2013 WYCC:
    This event was awarded to Al Ain at the Executive Board meeting in Krakow, 2011. At that time, no dates were provided, only the promise of an “unforgettable” WYCC and free accommodation for “everyone”. Several months later in 2012, the dates were published for an August event.
    Obviously this conflicts with our CYCC, which will only be completed a month prior. I have objected strongly to these dates and to the lack of detail provided for the event. The organizers did not attend the most recent Congress in Istanbul. The dates have since been withdrawn from the FIDE calendar, unofficially reproposed during the Christmas holidays, and now deferred to the Presidential Board meeting in Yerevan later this month.
    Concerns remain about the WYCC because it will be held at the University with dormitory accommodation, hence the proposed dates.

Bids for 2015 FIDE Events:
    The bid deadlines for the 2015 World Junior and World Senior are March 1 2013. I believe that both of these events are possible for Canada, even as a package deal, and I encourage any interested organizers to contact me as soon as possible. Canada is often regarded as an inactive Zone in FIDE. Staging a World Championship event would go a long way towards silencing our critics.

Blog Entries

John Coleman sent me and Frank Lee the following on the proposed Christmas schedule for WYCC:

Hi guys

apparently the new date for WYCC is over the Christmas holidays. I think that’s unfortunate, for an event aimed at kids. Most kids like to be home with their families at Christmas, to get their loot (and affection, of course).

As governors, can your record my displeasure somewhere official.

I realise that there are many holidays of all faiths, but Christmas is celebrated in most of the western world, and it would really be a shame to hold WYCC over Christmas.

JC

Also, I don't want to imagine how much the flights will cost at that time of the year... It is very annoying for the winners, who might have to pay quite a lot of money to play there.

Default WYCC over Christmas?

Please also officially record this concern I also raised in another thread to the same effect re WYCC and Christmas, brought to me by a CYCC parent, Victoria Jung-Doknjas, who asked that the Governors move a motion to advise Hal to report to FIDE Canada's concern around the proposed WYCC date.

Bob A

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bond View Post
    FIDE Report – January 2013

Bids for 2015 FIDE Events:
    The bid deadlines for the 2015 World Junior and World Senior are March 1 2013. I believe that both of these events are possible for Canada, even as a package deal, and I encourage any interested organizers to contact me as soon as possible. Canada is often regarded as an inactive Zone in FIDE. Staging a World Championship event would go a long way towards silencing our critics.
    Do you happen to know the estimated overall cost of those events? That might help potential organizers decide. The financial regulations are available on the FIDE website, but perhaps you know more about the actual costs of something like that?

Since 2017 is the 50th anniversary of the FQE and the 375th anniversary of Montreal City, a world-class event is highly considered

Isn't there already a Canadian organizer trying to find the necessary funds for the 2015 World Junior? I know it's incredibly hard, but it would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bond View Post
    As of January 1 this year, all FIDE rated events require a FIDE licenced Arbiter. A one time licence fee must be paid by the Arbiter to the CFC and the CFC will forward the fees to FIDE. The licence fee is based on the category of the Arbiters. Note that “National Arbiters” require a licence fee of only €20, and that the licencing process in ongoing.
    Thank you, Hal, for your Report!

Could you please clarify:
    What need to be done to make Hart House Winter Open FIDE rated?
    Had Alex Ferreira submitted his application and licence fee?
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

oops - wrong reply. See below
    Last edited by Hal Bond; 01-05-2013 at 10:22 AM.

Hi Michael - Alex has been approved as a licenced National Arbiter. I don't know if the tournament was registered in advance with FIDE. If it was, there should be no problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast