Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 9th Montreal International

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Armstrong
    Hi again Peter:

Note that Hikaru Nakamura, who is now living in Canada, is shown as with the USA Federation, while Kovalyov is shown as Canadian, not Argentina. Why the discrepancy?

Bob
    I don't think Hikaru Nakamura has actually moved to Canada, I understood he was here for educational purposes. Perhaps that is incorrect?

We're all here for educational purposes, Kerry.

If you mean that you think that Hikaru is taking something on the order of University classes, no, not AFAIK.

Strange thing in this reply tab (Firefox 2.0.0.16): the page just kept trying to reload (every couple of seconds) until I pressed the Esc key, then it seemed normal, knock on wood.

I agree with Lawrence. That game sure took the hack out of Накамура. Tust to jest that Cyrillic could be copied-and-pasted, of course!

Default Montreal Int. - Rd. 4 Leaders

The co-leaders going into Rd. 4, GM Hikaru Nakamura ( USA - 2697 ) and GM Pascal Charbonneau ( Canada - 2499 ), 2 time Canadain Champion, played each other and drew, ending up in a 4-way tie for the lead. The other 2 with 3 pts. are : GM Varzuhan Akobian ( USA - 2610 ) and GM Yuri Shulman ( USA - 2623 ).

Canadian GM Mark Bluvshtein ( 2548 ) won against fellow Canadian IM Thomas Roussel-Roozman ( 2486 ), and is half a point back with 2.5 pts..

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; 08-27-2008 at 08:27 PM.

Default Montreal International - Rd. 5 - Shulman Leads

2 time Canadian Champion, GM Pascal Charbonneau ( 2499 ), who now lives in USA, and who was tied for the lead going into Rd. 5, had a rather quiet draw with Canadian GM Mark Bluvshtein ( 2548 ). This dropped him out of first place, and he is now ½ pt. behind the sole leader, USA GM Yuri Shulman ( 2623 ).who now has 4 pts. Another co-leader, USA GM Hikaru Nakamura ( 2697 ) went down to defeat to 2006 Canadian Champion, IM Igor Zugic ( 2457 ). USA GM Varzuhan Akobian, also tied for first going into Rd. 5, drew as well ( Q + P vs B + N + 3 P’s ), and so also dropped into a tie for second with Charbonneau.

Default Montreal Int. - Kovalyov

It is interesting to note that in covering the Montreal International, the Susan Polgar Blog and The Week in Chess both show Kovalyov's federation as Argentina ( not Canada as the Montreal organizers are doing on their site ).

Bob

Default Montreal Int. - Rd. 6?

It's 5:40 pm, Friday, and I went to the official site and under " live games " it is still showing yesterday's Rd. 5 games. The rounds start at 5:00 pm.

Does anyone know what's happening with Rd. 6? Is today a " rest day " or something?

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Armstrong
    It's 5:40 pm, Friday, and I went to the official site and under " live games " it is still showing yesterday's Rd. 5 games. The rounds start at 5:00 pm.

Does anyone know what's happening with Rd. 6? Is today a " rest day " or something?

Bob
    Check the schedule... http://perso.b2b2c.ca/lesechecauquebec/ronde_6.htm

Rd 6 is on Saturday, so I guess today is for resting up.

Default Montreal Int. - Rd. 6 - Thx (nt )

Hi Kerry:

Thx

Bob

Default Montreal Int. - Rd. 6 - Shulman Keeps Lead

After 6 rounds, USA GM Yuri Shulman, held onto the lead by half a point ( 4.5 pts. ), with a draw against 2nd/3rd placer USA GM Varzuhan Akobian, who remains tied for 2nd/3rd. Tied with him now is Canadian GM Mark Bluvshtein, also with 4 pts., who defeated 2006 Canadian Champion, IM Igor Zugic ( who had defeated USA GM Hikaru Nakamura in Rd. 5 ! ). Nakamura and 2 time Can. Champion, Pascal Charbonneau ( who lost to Argentine GM Anton Kovalyov ), are tied for 4th/5th with 3. 5 pts..

Bob

Default Montreal Int. - Rd. 7 - Shulman Keeps Lead

U.S.A GM Yuri Shulman drew in Rd. 7 , to stay in first place ( 5 pts. ), 1/2 pt. ahead of Canadian GM Mark Bluvshtein ( 2548 ) who also drew ( with USA GM Hikaru Nakamura - 2697 - Nakamura could not promote his extra P in the ending ) and who is alone in second now. USA GM Varzuhan Akobian who was tied with him for 2nd/3rd going into Rd. 7, lost ( and so now has 4 pts. - tied for 3rd/4th with Nakamura ). Pascal Charbonneau, who had been tied for 4th/5th, lost to French GM Sebastien Maze, and drops down into 5th/7th, with 3.5 pts..
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; 09-01-2008 at 12:00 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast