Thread: 8b. DISCUSSION: Canadian Junior/CYCC/World Junior/WYCC qual... (Bob Armstrong)

Default 8b. DISCUSSION: Canadian Junior/CYCC/World Junior/WYCC qual... (Bob Armstrong)

Post discussion here.

Default Discussion Introduction

Last year, an issue arose that highlighted the requirement that a youth play in the CYCC, to join the WYCC team ( there is an exception situation ).

In the 2012 World Junior, a number of players were on the Canadian Team who did not participate in the 2012 Canadian Junior. There is no requirement that this be the case for the World Junior Canadian Team.

The rationale of the CYCC regulation is that we want to force the best Canadian Youth to play in the national event, so Canada will get, hopefully, the strongest Canadian Youth in the age group, as the Canadian Champion. We do not want strong juniors sitting out of the national event, intending to go with the Canadian Team at their own expense to the WYCC.

It is not clear to me that this same rationale should not apply to the Canadian Junior. For example, would it have been better to have had Eric Hansen play in the Canadian Junior - obviously our strongest junior at the time. On the other side of the coin, by allowing Eric to go, as a strong contender, he was able to achieve a tie for 5th ( I believe ). Had we had the " Play in the Canadian Junior " restriction in place this year, Eric would have been prohibited from going.

I need to hear more opinions on whether the WYCC and Can. Jr. should have the same type of restriction, to enhance the stature of both as Canadian championships, and attract the strongest youth/juniors to play, despite the expense of participation, which can be significant for some families.

Bob A

Blog Entries

I think we're going to get a lot of duplicate discussion between this and my motion regarding the World Junior.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter