Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 7. 2013-R Participation in the World Junior (Mallon/Denommee) - commentary only

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Halldor P. Palsson View Post
    I am happy to see Canadians at the World Junior - I think the expense and effort required would tend to attract only serious chess players.

I can live with people with more money than sense going. I also want the CFC Executive to have discretion in this matter so I am not in favour of giving very detailed guidence here.

I will vote against this motion.
    The question that the governors need to ask is, "Is it reasonable to take $250 out of Eric Hansen's pocket and another $250 out of Aman Hambleton's pocket to give to someone else through the Pugi fund?" That would have been the effect of this motion if it were in place for the last World Junior.

There is a tendency in some quarters to want to regulate anything and everything about chess played in Canada and by Canadians. This regulation is definitely better than some of the regulations that were bandied about but I am not sure that it is better than the current status quo which is relatively fewer regulations. It seems to me that we are penalizing the strong players that want to play chess internationally with this new set of rules. The $250 cost is only a small part of the cost of playing in the world junior but it is an amount that could tip the balance between playing and not playing. As the masters representative, I think that I have to vote against this motion on that basis alone.

Another concern I have is that some of the thresholds for women are so high that members of the last few womens olympiad teams would not qualify. If someone in the top half dozen girls in the country would not qualify under these rules then we probably need to refine them. In Windsor, there does not seem to be any significant difference in chess play between boys and girls. Having girls adopt chess in the same numbers that boys do could certainly almost double our numbers overnight. Having the opportunity to play in a tournament where norms are possible is something that we shouldn't lightly deny to the few young women who might want to take advantage of the opportunity.

Blog Entries

Regarding the cutoffs for the girls, they are the same distance (in ratings points) from the respective norms as the boys are, which is why I picked them in that way. No offense to anyone but if you aren't above the listed rating requirement you probably won't be getting a norm - and I challenge anyone to show me even one example of a Canadian rated so low (both FIDE and CFC) getting a norm at any event.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    The question that the governors need to ask is, "Is it reasonable to take $250 out of Eric Hansen's pocket and another $250 out of Aman Hambleton's pocket to give to someone else through the Pugi fund?" That would have been the effect of this motion if it were in place for the last World Junior.

There is a tendency in some quarters to want to regulate anything and everything about chess played in Canada and by Canadians. This regulation is definitely better than some of the regulations that were bandied about but I am not sure that it is better than the current status quo which is relatively fewer regulations. It seems to me that we are penalizing the strong players that want to play chess internationally with this new set of rules. The $250 cost is only a small part of the cost of playing in the world junior but it is an amount that could tip the balance between playing and not playing. As the masters representative, I think that I have to vote against this motion on that basis alone.

Another concern I have is that some of the thresholds for women are so high that members of the last few womens olympiad teams would not qualify. If someone in the top half dozen girls in the country would not qualify under these rules then we probably need to refine them. In Windsor, there does not seem to be any significant difference in chess play between boys and girls. Having girls adopt chess in the same numbers that boys do could certainly almost double our numbers overnight. Having the opportunity to play in a tournament where norms are possible is something that we shouldn't lightly deny to the few young women who might want to take advantage of the opportunity.
    Vlad,

The role of the Chess Federation of Canada is to develop chess in Canada.
    To represent Canada at World Championship - it's a privilege that should be earned in Canada.

The question that the governors need to ask is:
    What could we do to encourage our best players to compete at the Canadian Championships?

The proposed motion doesn't deny anybody of the opportunity to play chess internationally.
    Anybody could qualify for the World Junior - by winning Canadian Junior - as in any other sport.
    Moreover, any player who finish in the top 3 at the Canadian Junior is qualified.
    Moreover, any player who competes at the Canadian Junior and has reasonable chess level is qualified.
    Moreover, any player who has a reasonable chance for international norm, but can't compete at the Canadian Junior for a serious reason, is qualified.

What else could we do for Canadian chess development?

As a master representative, could you please consider the following issues:
    Why the best Canadian female player has never played at the Canadian Junior (or CYCC for that matter) ?
    What could we do to develop chess in Canada?
    What could we do to make Canadian players more competitive internationally?
    What could we do to make our National Championships more attractive for our best players?

And yes, I find it reasonable that Shiyam Thavandiran, who in January flies from Toronto to Calgary to compete at the Canadian Junior and spends much more than $250 for this trip, gets some grant from the Pugi fund to help him play chess internationally...
    Last edited by Michael Barron; 10-04-2012 at 09:26 AM.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12