Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7. 2013-N All meetings made public (McKim/Bond) - commentary only

Default 7. 2013-N All meetings made public (McKim/Bond) - commentary only

That the proceedings of all CFC quarterly meetings and AGMs be conducted in a public forum.

I will support this motion.

Bob A

I concur with this motion.

Same here. I am supporting this motion

Blog Entries

While I agree with the motion, I think we need (for clarity's sake) a bit in there allowing some matters to still be handled privately. That might save us arguments later if someone wants something that SHOULD be private to be made public.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Very few topics should be confidential. Most of what is confidential is dealt with by the board of directors.

Because some topics must be confidential, I would also like to see a possibility to do it under exceptional circumstances.

At the moment, I note interest in an amendment, but nothing seems to have been formally proposed.

Blog Entries

I'll move an amendment: "With a majority vote of Executive members a motion or discussion at a meeting may be started in the private forum as a confidential discussion. Such discussion may be made public by 2/3 majority vote of the Governors (via a properly seconded motion, which is also confidential until such time as it passes). Such a motion must be moved and seconded within the timelines of the meeting and a vote must be held within two weeks, if it is not possible during the meeting."

Wordy I know, but I wanted to cover all the bases.

Also, can we have an official ruling from the chair that this motion does not apply to past meetings? (Not really fair to make them public when there was an expectation of privacy)
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

I do not see a compelling reason to ask for an amendment. After review (as they say in the CFL) I find the the motion states that the quarterly meeting shall be public. It does not prevent the Governors from discussion really confidential matters in camera outside of the quarterly meeting. There should be very few such confidential discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    Also, can we have an official ruling from the chair that this motion does not apply to past meetings? (Not really fair to make them public when there was an expectation of privacy)
    It does not apply to past meetings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast