Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 7. 2013-E Modify waived junior memberships (Bond/Gillanders) - commentary only

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    All players in a tournament must be CFC members for the entire duration of the tournament...
    I read that there was (is) a practice to organize tournaments where not all players were members. Those games with non-members were just ignored in the rating report.
    .*-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    I read that there was (is) a practice to organize tournaments where not all players were members. Those games with non-members were just ignored in the rating report.
    No that is not allowed.

Blog Entries

No that is not allowed.
    Having said that .... if you are holding some kind of club event, as long as the games submitted for rating are between CFC members, there is really nothing anyone (ie CFC) can do about other games that weren't submitted. It makes for a messy crosstable with people receiving possibly multiple 0, 1/2, and 1 point byes.

No that is not allowed.
    What are sanctions?

Ok. I see that no possible remedies exist at this moment.
    .*-1

Blog Entries

What are sanctions?

Sanctions .... remedies .... ??

Is it really that difficult to have a tournament with only CFC members ?

Why not simply alternate between CFC tournaments and non-CFC tournaments? That is the model that many clubs use.

Having said that .... if you are holding some kind of club event, as long as the games submitted for rating are between CFC members, there is really nothing anyone (ie CFC) can do about other games that weren't submitted. It makes for a messy crosstable with people receiving possibly multiple 0, 1/2, and 1 point byes.
    The Mississauga Chess Club has held a few club tournaments where CFC membership was optional. We were trying to keep everyone happy. I suspect that is what Egis is remembering. But as you say, only the games played between CFC members can be submitted to CFC for rating. That meant that I had to recreate SwissSys tournament files with only CFC players entered. So if a CFC player beat a non CFC player, the CFC crosstable shows a 1 point bye. Similarly a half point bye for a draw, and zero point bye for a loss. For the true complete crosstable, it is on the club website. Whereas, the corresponding crosstable on the CFC website looks ridiculous.

It was an experiment, it failed. We don't do that anymore.

IMHO, alternating between CFC and non CFC tournaments at the club would fail. Some members would avoid attending those weeks. A better option that we might try next would be a tournament with 2 sections (CFC and non CFC).
    Last edited by Bob Gillanders; 10-02-2012 at 12:14 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
    IMHO, alternating between CFC and non CFC tournaments at the club would fail. Some members would avoid attending those weeks. A better option that we might try next would be a tournament with 2 sections (CFC and non CFC).
    Bob, from what I've seen you post, your club would work perfectly with rated and unrated sections.

I think that critical mass is probably about 30 players - that way you'll get enough to make sure you have at least a half dozen in each section.

The only thing that the CFC can do is to refuse to rate the tournament.

What are sanctions?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
    It was an experiment, it failed. We don't do that anymore.

Why did it fail? (just curious)

Our club plan to have regular CFC events, and non-rated blitz and rapid tournaments. We'll see how it goes.
    .*-1

Default add provincial YCCs

I support this motion.
    I would suggest adding provincial YCCs to the events which require membership.

Prizes in such championships involve travel costs, etc, for CYCC, and are supported by the respective provincial associations. Such funds ultimately come from membership fees collected.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast