Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 7. 2013-E Modify waived junior memberships (Bond/Gillanders) - commentary only

Default 7. 2013-E Modify waived junior memberships (Bond/Gillanders) - commentary only

Modify Section 7, p. 732 by adding after "(tournaments or matches)" the following: "with the exception of the CYCC, Canadian Junior, or any FIDE-rated tournament."

Please include the full text. It will save 50 people to go and to read the handbook.
    .*-1

The text of paragraph 732 is as follows:

732. Membership. All players in a rated event must be CFC members for the inclusive dates of play. The CFC membership requirement is waived for Junior events (tournaments or matches). An event is considered Junior for the purposes of this section if all the players meet the age requirements of the World Junior of the year following the year in which the event ends. [Updated; Keshet/Stockhausen 1999]

The entire section can be found at http://www.chess.ca/handbook#section-7

I will support this motion.

Bob A

Blog Entries

I take it that this is proposed to avoid any ambiguity with regard to the membership requirements for players taking part in CYCC. I was under the impression that there is no ambiguity as there was something in the regulations which already clearly stated that a CFC membership was required for CYCC.

I will be supporting this motion.

Blog Entries

It removes the ambiguity of the CYCC and Junior, and adds the requirement for FIDE events (which in fact is required by FIDE in any case). I support this.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Default interpreting "dates of play"

Apart from the proposed modification to this article, can I take this opportunity to ask a question about interpreting the "dates of play" phrase.

Specifically: In a one-round-per-week club event, is it possible for a player whose membership expires at some point during the tournament to withdraw before that point withoit renewing her CFC, or is she required to be a member for the dates of play of the tournament? In other words does "dates of play" refer to the dates when the player is involved, or is it required that her membership be valid right to the end of the tournament? The question is relevant for our club, because we allow nightly drop-in play from a club membership point of view, but we need to know how far in advance we need to check CFC expiry before we allow a player to make a one-night drop-in entry into an ongoing tournament.

I am in favour of the motion.

I support this motion
    Les Bunning

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Wilker View Post
    Apart from the proposed modification to this article, can I take this opportunity to ask a question about interpreting the "dates of play" phrase.

Specifically: In a one-round-per-week club event, is it possible for a player whose membership expires at some point during the tournament to withdraw before that point withoit renewing her CFC, or is she required to be a member for the dates of play of the tournament? In other words does "dates of play" refer to the dates when the player is involved, or is it required that her membership be valid right to the end of the tournament? The question is relevant for our club, because we allow nightly drop-in play from a club membership point of view, but we need to know how far in advance we need to check CFC expiry before we allow a player to make a one-night drop-in entry into an ongoing tournament.
    All players in a tournament must be CFC members for the entire duration of the tournament or else purchase a one-time tournament fee.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast