Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7. 2013-C Affiliate Program Revamp (Pacey/Palsson) - commentary only

Default 7. 2013-C Affiliate Program Revamp (Pacey/Palsson) - commentary only

To amend the CFC Handbook’s Section 21 from subsections 2106 to 2110, so as to be entirely replaced with the following:

2106. CFC MEMBERSHIP SALES AFFILIATE PROGRAM

2107. Description

CFC Membership Sales Affiliation (not to be confused with Provincial Affiliation, where a certain organization in each province is recognized by the CFC as the representative group of chess in that province) is a program to give incentive to local chess organizations and individuals to increase the number of full CFC memberships they collect.

2108. Benefit

For $25 a year (plus HST/GST), a CFC membership sales affiliate receives a 15% rebate on all CFC (not provincial) dues for all full (i.e. not Tournament or Life) CFC membership fees collected which are submitted to the CFC office within 7 days of their collection by the CFC membership sales affiliate.

2109. Method of CFC Membership Sales Affiliation

Any chess organization (or individual) may become a CFC membership sales affiliate with the CFC for a fee of $25 per year (plus HST/GST). Send this fee to: CFC, 356 Ontario Street, Suite 373, Stratford ON, N5A 7X6
    Rationale for motion:

(Note: unlike the to-be-replaced old section 21, there is to be no sub-section 2110)

The old Affiliate Program has fallen into disuse. The word ‘Affiliate’ when used alone may have been a cause for confusion, hence ‘CFC Membership SalesAffiliate’ is used instead (‘Club Affiliate’ might also cause undue confusion, differently, if used). Tracking auto-renewals was rejected as being unnecessarily complex. The amount for the fee ($25) was selected to try to provide a more substantial incentive to more chess organizations and individuals than the oldAffiliate program offered. At the current amount for the CFC portion of an adult CFC membership, a CFC Membership Sales Affiliate would need to collect 5 adult CFC membership fees to just about break even, taking into account GST/HST ($36 x 0.15 = $5.40 would be received by a CFC membership salesaffiliate for one adult CFC membership fee collected). The proposed new Program’s success may depend heavily upon advertising. I (Kevin Pacey) offer to contact Canadian chess clubs individually by email as one way of advertising a CFC Membership Sales Affiliate Program, if this motion (or perhaps a similar one) is passed at this meeting.
    Last edited by Michael von Keitz; 09-30-2012 at 06:32 PM.

An interesting motion. I would prefer to amend (edit) some items:

2106. CFC MEMBERSHIP-SALES AFFILIATE PROGRAM

2107. Description

CFC Membership-Sales Affiliation (not to be confused with Provincial Affiliation, where a certain organization in each province is recognized by the CFC as the representative group of chess in that province)

(the red text is deleted)

2108. Benefit

For $25 a year (plus HST/GST), a CFC membership-sales affiliate receives a 15% rebate on all CFC (not provincial) dues for all full (i.e. not Tournament or Life) CFC membership fees collected which are submitted to the CFC office within 7 days of their collection by the CFC membership-sales affiliate.

2109. Method of CFC Membership-Sales Affiliation

Any chess organization (or individual) may become a CFC membership-sales affiliate with the CFC for a fee of $25 per year (plus HST/GST). Send this fee to: CFC, 356 Ontario Street, Suite 373, Stratford ON, N5A 7X6

The red text replaced with "The fee is submitted to the CFC office"
    In a case an address will change, there will be no need to change sections.

Please someone second them. Thank you.
    .*-1

Blog Entries

We do NOT need to say where to send fees - all fees would be payable to the CFC unless otherwise stated, and I don't want to have to be amending 50 different parts of the handbook anytime the (outsourced!) CFC office moved to a new location! So yes I totally agree with that change and am willing to second it Egis,

However I do not agree with the first change. If anything, just find a way to remove the word "affiliate" from this program if you really honestly feel it will be confusing (I don't).
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Ottawa Ontario National Master Former Gov.
    Blog Entries

Fwiw, to try to follow precident, I followed the flavour of the wording of the section 21 affiliate program as it currently stands in the Handbook as much as was feasible, in drafting the present motion.

Thus, I included the current address of the CFC office in the wording of the present (Pacey/Palsson) motion. Partly as well to be on the perhaps ultra-cautious side, as section 2 in the Handbook as it currently stands still has the CFC office's location to be in Ottawa, if I recall correctly.

[edit: From Section 2 of the Handbook:

HEAD OFFICE

2. The head office of the corporation shall be located at the City of Ottawa in the Regional Municipality of Ottawa-Carleton and in the Province of Ontario, Canada at the place therein where the business of the corporation may from time to time be carried on.

]
    Last edited by Kevin Pacey; 10-01-2012 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    An interesting motion. I would prefer to amend (edit) some items:

2106. CFC MEMBERSHIP-SALES AFFILIATE PROGRAM

2107. Description

CFC Membership-Sales Affiliation (not to be confused with Provincial Affiliation, where a certain organization in each province is recognized by the CFC as the representative group of chess in that province)

(the red text is deleted)

2108. Benefit

For $25 a year (plus HST/GST), a CFC membership-sales affiliate receives a 15% rebate on all CFC (not provincial) dues for all full (i.e. not Tournament or Life) CFC membership fees collected which are submitted to the CFC office within 7 days of their collection by the CFC membership-sales affiliate.

2109. Method of CFC Membership-Sales Affiliation

Any chess organization (or individual) may become a CFC membership-sales affiliate with the CFC for a fee of $25 per year (plus HST/GST). Send this fee to: CFC, 356 Ontario Street, Suite 373, Stratford ON, N5A 7X6

The red text replaced with "The fee is submitted to the CFC office"
    In a case an address will change, there will be no need to change sections.

Please someone second them. Thank you.
    Egidijus,

Both your suggestions make sense.
    I'm willing to second them.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Blog Entries

While I agree with the simple motion, I'm wondering if the fee shouldn't be more like $50. At a rate of 15%, I think entry is too cheap.

We also used to give a deal on advertizing ....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    While I agree with the simple motion, I'm wondering if the fee shouldn't be more like $50. At a rate of 15%, I think entry is too cheap.

We also used to give a deal on advertizing ....
    I originally suggested to my seconder, Halldor Palsson, that the fee be $60 (which is what you proposed at last year's October meeting Fred, for a similar motion that ended up not being seconded). Halldor felt that that amount would be way too high, for a typical potential CFC membership sales affiliate to collect enough membership fees to break even, and he felt strongly that the old affiliate program that eventually fell into disuse possibly failed for (at the least) that sort of reason. The $25 amount (for the fee) that we settled on eventually was a compromise, as he originally suggested an even lower fee than that to me.

In case anyone hasn't worked it out, with a CFC membership sales affiliate taking ($36 x 0.15 =) $5.40 per adult membership fee collected, a potential CFC membership sales affiliate would have to collect at least 11 adult CFC membership fees in order to do a little better than breaking even, if we take into account GST/HST as it stands in Ontario, for example.

Given what one might assume are the attendence levels of most typical Canadian clubs or tournaments (assuming that's where a large portion of CFC membership fees are collected), that might well not assure a typical potential CFC membership sales affiliate of probably collecting at least 11 adult CFC membership fees over the course of a year, in order to just basically break even (Halldor made a similar argument to me when I first suggested a $60 fee to him, if I recall correctly).

I thought about the possibility of an advertising deal to be included as another benefit of a revamped affiliate program, now that you've mentioned it, but I was reluctant since for one thing there is some debate by some Governors going on as to whether to continue providing the newsletter (debate which has recently spilled over onto the public chesstalk message board).

Blog Entries

I think the cost/benefit ratio is too much in favour of the affiliate at the moment. I think the magic number to start turning a profit should be closer to 10 memberships sold. That can be achieved by either a) increasing the cost or b) decreasing the %.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Blog Entries

Presumably the 15% applies to junior memberships as well as adult memberships.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    Presumably the 15% applies to junior memberships as well as adult memberships.
    The 15% would indeed apply to junior memberships as well.

I borrowed the term 'full CFC memberships' from Fred's proposed (but unseconded) motion at last year's October meeting. This means by implication the 15% would in fact be for all existing types of CFC memberships [edit: collected] (except Tournament and Life memberships, as is noted in the present (Pacey/Palsson) motion).
    Last edited by Kevin Pacey; 10-03-2012 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Spelling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast