Thread: 6e. Tournament Coordinator's Report

Default 6e. Tournament Coordinator's Report

Tournament Coordinator Report here.

I have passed in review Team Championships rules used Elsewhere. My goal was to write the Rules for the Canadian Team Championship. This will have no effect on this year bidder because those rules did not exist at the moment of his bid.

I am posting the Draft Rules for comments only. Those rules are not complete.

The core purposes of the rules are to

1. Find the best team in Canada in an impartial manner.
    2. Enhance the norm possibility while remaining fully compliant with all FIDE rules.
    3. Encourage the participation of the largest number of players in the Canadian Team Championship.
    4. Leave some freedom to the bidder.

For point 2, a round robin is the best way to ensure norms possibility. The top teams, which are referred to as the major teams in the rules, are the one who will be playing for the Canadian Champion title. In France, there is only 12 such teams for about 60 000 licensed chess players. 12 is a nice number, it gives 11 rounds to try to achieve a norm, giving the players the possibility to ignore two games that they has won, to survive to up to two win by no-show forfeit and still have norm chances on 9 games. It also gives the players a chance at a norm on 9 games, 10 games or 11 games. This maximizes the players’ norms opportunity in full legality.

To encourage participation, the Team Championship cannot be limited to only 12 teams in Canada. I have replace the European terminology with one that is familiar to us, referring to the different divisions as AAA, AA, A, BBB, BB, B, CCC, CC and C. It is obviously not possible to start all those divisions in a single year. The most urgent task at hand is to begin the Major Division to be followed as soon as possible by the AAA division which qualifies teams for the Major Division.

After reading Chesstalk, I come to realize that the rule for the Canadian Championship should be different on non-zonal years. Because there is no title by registration, a round robin would maximize the players’ norms opportunities. I then realize how tricky it would be to select the invited players. In order to maximize IM norm opportunities, we should invite 2 GM and 7 non IM. With such artificial restrictions on the registration, the winner could hardly be named the Canadian Champion.

I have begun work on a pairing software. This will move on very slowly.

I wish to create the ad hoc CFC Technical Commission with the mandate if rewriting the rules for all the National Championship. The first task would be to write a section entitled General Rules for National Championships which would list rules which are common to all the National Championship. For example, citizenship requirements, CFC Membership requirements, interdiction of Tournament Membership, tiebreaks…

A part of my mandate is The Tournament Coordinator will help to develop and train tournament organizers and directors across the country. . I have email Hal Bond and the President about that. I have offered my assistance because this cannot be done independently of the TDOCP .

Blog Entries

So we have rules for an event that doesn't exist... why do we need new pairing software? ... why would the Canadian Closed be about anything other than trying to pick a Canadian Champion, with any titles and norms being simply bonus?

What about news of seeking bidders for the various events not already scheduled for 2013? We see lots of talk about rules for a Teams Championship, however I was told that I could not bid for this event a couple of months ago because it had already been "promised" to someone else.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Blog Entries

I would suggest that anyone interested in working on a Canadian Team Championship or League should contact Edward Porper who was appointed Commissioner.

I am fully aware of that and I will undertake to action that could interfere with his work.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    I would suggest that anyone interested in working on a Canadian Team Championship or League should contact Edward Porper who was appointed Commissioner.

There are two pillars on which to develop a strong Federation with many members. Those are Clubs and National Team Championships.

The mandate of the Tournament Coordinator is not limited to existent competitions. We have a bidder for the next Team Championship and nothing more as far as I know. The uttermost importance of having a Team Championship may not be obvious to you Chris, but it is the competition that could grow the CFC to 60 000 members. How can it be? A team is at least 4 players. Each time that a new team enters, the CFC gets 4 members, not 1. As the CFC grows, so will be the number of players per team.

I am preparing the road for the next bidder after Edward Proper. Clear written rules will make it obvious what the bidder need to organize.

You cannot expect to grow the membership by organizing exactly the same events as the previous year knowing that those events have given you a mere 1 200 members.

You may have no use for a new pairing program but rest assured that I have multiple project including but not limited to some statistical analysis of pairings impossible to do with any current program.

For me, title and norms is something that we should strive to maximize as long as we remain compliant with all FIDE rules. On non-zonal year, I am ready to give priority to norms and titles because the winner will never represent Canada.

Chris, the president has told me not to accept bids on the Team Championship because the bidder Edward Proper has been awarded the first Canadian Team Championship. If the President decides to remove the tournament from the current bidder, I will gladly officially open for bidding the Canadian Team Championship.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    So we have rules for an event that doesn't exist... why do we need new pairing software? ... why would the Canadian Closed be about anything other than trying to pick a Canadian Champion, with any titles and norms being simply bonus?

What about news of seeking bidders for the various events not already scheduled for 2013? We see lots of talk about rules for a Teams Championship, however I was told that I could not bid for this event a couple of months ago because it had already been "promised" to someone else.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    For me, title and norms is something that we should strive to maximize as long as we remain compliant with all FIDE rules. On non-zonal year, I am ready to give priority to norms and titles because the winner will never represent Canada.
    As a matter of fact, a quick glance at a calendar and our handbook will show you that if there is a Canadian Closed in 2013, the winner of that event will have a spot on the 2014 Olympiad team. So it's not, in fact, all about norms and the winner actually will represent Canada.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Thank you for the information Chris! I still want to do the Canadian Closed differently on non-zonal years, but I will place finding the strongest player in first place. This could be done with better norm chances for everybody.

We could change the Olympiad selection rules, but that has never been part of my plan. The actual selection rules did not lead to any protest, they seems to satisfy the players.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    As a matter of fact, a quick glance at a calendar and our handbook will show you that if there is a Canadian Closed in 2013, the winner of that event will have a spot on the 2014 Olympiad team. So it's not, in fact, all about norms and the winner actually will represent Canada.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre Dénommée View Post
    We could change the Olympiad selection rules, but that has never been part of my plan. The actual selection rules did not lead to any protest, they seems to satisfy the players.
    I don't think anyone has an issue with the Canadian Champion being on the team, so I'm not sure how you'd change that part. The next Olympiad starts on August 1st, 2014 so it would be very hard to run a 2014 Closed with enough lead-time to have a different Champion after a 2013 event (in fact according to current rules it would have to be over by January 31st, 2014).
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter