Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5d. Treasurer's Report

Default 5d. Treasurer's Report

Treasurer Report here.

Blog Entries

Default Treasurer's Report

I wanted to bring up a problem that seems to be growing in the office. Incomplete tournament reports - it seems more than one organizer across the country feel it's appropriate to submit simply a rating report to the office and expect it to be rated without a reckoning on the CFC fees owing.

Be advised that it is the responsibility of the tournament organizer to ensure that each participant in the tournament is a CFC member for the duration of the tournament and submit this amount with the rating report. Those that are not may only participate if they pay the organizer the appropriate CFC membership or purchase a tournament playing fee.

Events will no longer be accepted by repeat offenders. We are not in the business of having our tournament organizers as having accounts payable with us.

If the problem becomes too serious, we could have a rule that arbiters are not allowed to pair non-members. Such a rule is hardly an innovation because it has been used in many countries but I understand that some clubs would be disturbed by this rule.

Default CFC Memberships

I run a fair number of tournaments at a CFC membership required chess club. We are usually 2-4 memberships behind. We chase players to join and renew with the CFC but our tournaments typically last 5-7 weeks. If I miss sombody I do not want to be charged $20 per player.

In practical terms the file you download from the CFC is not always up to date and players tell you during the tournament that they have renewed and by the way they did not bring the receipt so there is some scope for error here. This is what happens on the ground.

Let us get religion on this issue and drive a bunch of guys out of TD-ing.

Blog Entries

What is the situation with the 2012 CYCC CFC memberships? I have been encouraging parents to renew their CFC membership when asked about it. Apparently even parents who wanted to renew the CFC memberships for their kids were told by the organizer that it was absolutely not necessary to do so. An email was sent by the CFC office indicating that a renewal was required and within minutes the organizer sent an email contradicting that request. I am not in contact with all the Windsor CYCC participants and it is quite possible that some of them have not paid their membership in light of the mixed messages that they received. If half of the kids have not renewed that still puts a significant dent in membership revenues.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    An email was sent by the CFC office indicating that a renewal was required and within minutes the organizer sent an email contradicting that request.
    I may have a very large concern with this part. Are you saying that the CFC office sent out an email to the participants which the organizer then contradicted?
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Yes Chris - that is precisely what happened. Our handbook was on the organizer's side, despite years of practice to the contrary.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bond View Post
    Yes Chris - that is precisely what happened. Our handbook was on the organizer's side, despite years of practice to the contrary.
    I could have sworn that I saw regulations quoted in the past which indicated that CFC membership was required for CYCC. Was it a case that the handbook was not properly updated?

If the kids that played in CYCC don't have to be members that puts about a $5,000 to $6,000 hole in the CFC budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Drkulec View Post
    If the kids that played in CYCC don't have to be members that puts about a $5,000 to $6,000 hole in the CFC budget.
    Sound like a loophole with a temporary solution to rate FIDE, what would require a membership even for kids.
    I vaguely remember that a membership for Championships is a must.
    .*-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bond View Post
    Sounds more like an accidental deletion from the online handbook. I specifically remember there being a rule instituted in the last ten years regarding memberships being needed for national championships.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast