Thread: 5b. FIDE Rep's Report

Default 5b. FIDE Rep's Report

FIDE Rep Report here.

Default FIDE Update

Since my report from Istanbul in September there have been few developments. Congratulations to IA Phil Haley for his long standing service award from FIDE. Phil received his award in late September.

Eric Hansen will play for Canada in the Continental Championship. Eric's GM title application has been filed and will be approved at the next Presidential Board metting, likely December. The IM title has also been filed for Shiyam Thavandiran, conditional on rating.

Canada will have 5 players at the World Seniors this year. Our champion Andre Zybura shall be joined by IM Leon Piasetski, former Seniors Champ Bill Doubleday, Pierre Maheux and Ian Finlay.

Regarding the pending registration difficulties with next year's WYCC, I have twice written to the Asian Continent and still await word.

If Canadian organizers are interested in bidding on FIDE events, the next bidding window is March - June of 2013 for the World Junior and World Senior. Please contact me.

Blog Entries

Hal: Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the World Seniors' organizers no longer have to pay accommodations and food for Federation Champions, only maybe 12-15 selected players (continental reps, etc).

And I believe the age is being reduced to 50 in 2014 ? with a 65+ group ?

In the attached report, what is the Canadian request that has been withdrawn? Was it the AGM proposal to buy a grandmaster in first round?

Hal Bond confirmed that his federation had not proceeded with the idea for first round pairings which had been considered.

Default Fred and Pierre

Fred - the organizers do not pay for Federation reps at the World Seniors. They pay for Zonal reps only. We get one such player, male or female. In 2014 the floor will be lowered to 50 with a 65+ group, but I am not completely sure what that means - separate event of separate prize.

Pierre - I advised that Canada did not proceed with the "GM Auction" for first round games at the Canadian Open last year due to the criticism domestically. I had acquired approval for this experiment from the Qualification Commission in Krakow last year.

What is a current transfer status for A.Kovalyov?
    .*-1

This was a nice work to get that permission.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bond View Post
    Pierre - I advised that Canada did not proceed with the "GM Auction" for first round games at the Canadian Open last year due to the criticism domestically. I had acquired approval for this experiment from the Qualification Commission in Krakow last year.