Thread: 3. President's Welcome

Default 3. President's Welcome

Welcome to this quarter's edition of our meeting. You will note that this particular gathering is open to the public, much akin to the way in which the AGM was handled. Among the many motions on the floor is one aimed at making this concept of public proceedings our standard practice. Anyway, we have plenty of work to do and I look forward to another productive session.
    Last edited by Michael von Keitz; 10-01-2012 at 11:01 AM.

A brief report before I retire for the evening. First of all, a hearty congratulations to some of our title-earners of the past few months: Eric Hansen (Grandmaster), Richard Wang (International Master), Nikita Gusev (FIDE Master), Michael Humphreys (FIDE Master), Jackie Peng (Women's FIDE Master) and Rene Preotu (FIDE Arbiter). Their grit and determination, as was put on display, is truly enviable. In Rene's case, perhaps moreso his genuine sense of duty and his consistently good work. I would also like to note the stellar performances of some of our current champions, including: Bator Sambuev (Canadian Closed - 8.5/9), Natalia Khoudgarian (Canadian Women's Closed - 8.5/9) and Andre Zybura (Canadian Seniors' Championship - 6.5/7).

In general, I feel as though news is sparse (in other words, I'm forgetting something...), but it may interest the assembly to know that, so far, one of our Diamond Jubilee medal applications was successful. That being the case presented for Larry Bevand. I trust you will all join me in congratulating him for this well-deserved recognition.

As usual, I spent a seemingly interminable amount of time in the archives, having another go at cataloging their contents. Kudos to Hal for tolerating another session alongside me. We seem to have a near-complete run of Canadian Chess Chat. Early indications are that we may be missing one or two of the last few issues. Meanwhile, we seem to have about half the issues of Chess Canada. As for the CFC magazine, we have a full run, which I'm sure has been mentioned before. These issues are now in Patrick McDonald's hands for eventual digitization, along with what seems to be a complete run of Governors' Letters. The latter are his top priority, but, again, this is a long-term endeavour.

On the topic of the FQE-CFC Agreement, Richard Berube and Bernard Labadie have been appointed as the FQE's Trustees. On a slightly related note, also be aware that in order to facilitate ease of membership verification for TDs, the CFC mde file now presents a hybrid between CFC and FQE information, which is updated weekly. The result has been a source of some confusion, so know that out-of-range CFC IDs (i.e. 4xxxxxx-9xxxxxx) are FQE entries presented in a format congruent with the CFC file structure. In other words, among other things, ratings associated with these IDs are FQE values, although they might strike you as CFC ratings if you fail to check the ID first.

A further explanation of the meanings of the various IDs in this specified range is as follows:

The CFC number assigned will be :
    9XXXXXX = name in FQE not in CFC
    8XXXXXX = same name in FQE and in CFC
    7XXXXXX = same name and province in FQE and in CFC
    6XXXXXX = same name in FQE and in CFC (usually 2 entries in CFC with same name and different province)
    5XXXXXX = same name in FQE and in CFC (usually 2 entries in CFC with same name and same province)
    4XXXXXX and below = would be multiple duplicates (such as Taylor, James).

So, if you see an ID between 4xxxxxx-8xxxxxx, be alert, as it is a potential duplicate of the CFC entry. For CFC rating purposes, of course, the CFC entry is the one organizers should be using. Vice-versa for FQE events.

On a closing note, perhaps a topic for future discussion is the suggestion that we make our publications available a year after distribution to the membership. Further, that this be done retroactively, pending consultation. This was brought to my attention recently as a practice conducted by other similar organizations.

Enjoy the voting period and, hopefully, the Thanksgiving weekend.