Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I really hate banks

Default I really hate banks

I get some cash at the ATM (not my own bank) and they give you a warning that a service charge of $1.50 will apply. They make you confirm it, (as if you have a choice) all the while you are screaming inside your head.

Then 2 weeks later, you get your bank statement, and now my own bank charges another $1.50.

I really really really hate banks.

Thanks for listening. I feel better now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
    I get some cash at the ATM (not my own bank) and they give you a warning that a service charge of $1.50 will apply. They make you confirm it, (as if you have a choice) all the while you are screaming inside your head.

Then 2 weeks later, you get your bank statement, and now my own bank charges another $1.50.

I really really really hate banks.

Thanks for listening. I feel better now.
    It's worse though. All of those "no-name" ATMs you see in stores, the "no-name" companies are in fact 100% owned by the banks. So you could actually be using a machine owned by your own bank, and double-paying them a $1.50 service charge to do it.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    It's worse though. All of those "no-name" ATMs you see in stores, the "no-name" companies are in fact 100% owned by the banks. So you could actually be using a machine owned by your own bank, and double-paying them a $1.50 service charge to do it.
    This is why the banks love fans of the Toronto Maple Leafs. They're already bent over with their pants down around their ankles.

Ottawa Ontario National Master Former Gov.
    Blog Entries

I hate that I've been paying my bank over $100 a year in fees for a long time now. Plus, it used to be that my particular bank had a policy of no more fees once you reach age 55. Then, when I was closing in on my 55th birthday, I discovered that the promised land had been raised to age 60. On top of that, banks punish people in more than one way for not always having a juicy account. Plus, there's those fishy-looking "Other bank fees" noted in my passbook at times.

If I had my druthers I'd rather keep my money under my mattress, but governments alone used to send me cheques at times, requiring me to cash them somewhere, or nowadays instead they deposit the money into a (required) bank account.

I'd get into government taxes on taxes themselves, but that's off this thread's topic...
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
    Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Kevin,
    I sent you email invitation to a bank which doesn't charge unfair fees, if it's interesting for you.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Ottawa Ontario National Master Former Gov.
    Blog Entries

Thanks Michael.
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
    Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

In the 20 years or so that I've had an account at the CIBC, I have never paid a cent in fees. Every month I get an debit entry plus a credit entry for the fees I would have been charged. Maybe I've been "grandfathered" somehow.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
    In the 20 years or so that I've had an account at the CIBC, I have never paid a cent in fees. Every month I get an debit entry plus a credit entry for the fees I would have been charged. Maybe I've been "grandfathered" somehow.
    Either that or you have a mortgage or some other investment? I know with RBC having a mortgage and a TFSA with them means no monthly service fee on the chequing account. Doesn't seem to matter how much is in the TFSA either.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Banks are Federal. The Federal government should enact a Law forbidding Banks from charging bank fee to anybody. Its my money and they make profit with it, so why should I pay a fee to access it? Those fees are a serious drain on the cash of the poorest Canadians, those too poor to maintain the minimal balance that would cancel the fees.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Brodie View Post
    The original stipulation was that I keep a minimum of $1000 in the account. I always have - and no charges. I can probably dig up the original documents I signed when I opened the account.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast