Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chess Canada Webzine

Some suggestions for the online publication:
    I agree, that diagrams figures and colors should be possible to choose or set.
    Possibility to comment (maybe I missed a such natural option
    Lighter background color. Has your design considered what a typical age of the CFC player is? (i.e., Lawrence Day is really not in the best color)

Possible new columns: Q&A; book review.
    .*-1

Here are some examples of how boards could look like:

http://www.quebecechecs.com/phpBB3/v...php?f=1&t=5178

Unhappy Chesstalk comments

My thanks to CFC discussion board posters who offer constructive suggestions for the webzine. We are listening. It has been a lot of work to get this far, and we are swamped with lots of requests for access. We will take all your excellent suggestions and incorporate as many as feasible into phase 2 of the webzine.

I see some of our friends at chesstalk are not so generous. Their first instinct is to attack and criticize. Nevertheless, we welcome their comments and suggestions as well. I would remind them that very few newborn babies can play the piano at 2 days!

But seriously, I want to thank everyone for their patience. Time and resources permitting, we will be making improvements.

But most importantly, we need content. We want to make this your webzine. Send us your contributions. Local club news, tournament reports, games, send us a club photo, and your stories. Let's show those chesstalk whiners what we can do. To quote Barack Obama, "yes we can".

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gillanders
    But most importantly, we need content.
    Recently I've read a semi-chess book "Three moves ahead" (see @ CFC amazon; IMHO, it is better than Kasparov's How chess...), where the author provides information about Times (?) transition to internet. One step was to put all previous issues online. Why not the same thing with CFC magazine, while contributors write original works. I may help with this, but I have only 3 magazines Fortunately, one is quite old (~1982).
    .*-1

crestbook.com has good diagrams: to the right of screen, daily puzzle. Simple yet elegant.

Of course, boring tests need to be done to see how a diagram looks on different screens and printers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Berry
    crestbook.com has good diagrams: to the right of screen, daily puzzle.
    A similar feature is offered semi-free by Shredder
    http://www.shredderchess.com/chess-n...webmaster.html
    .*-1

Quote Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis
    BCCF already uses the Shredder daily puzzles.

http://www.chess.bc.ca/index.shtml

but that doesn't negate the value of any particular graphic design for chess board diagrams.

Quote Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis
    I don't think there's anything wrong with the PalView software used; in fact I think it's an excellent choice. The choice of colour for the boards is definitely unpleasant, however.

Quote Originally Posted by John Cordes
    I don't think there's anything wrong with the PalView software used; in fact I think it's an excellent choice. The choice of colour for the boards is definitely unpleasant, however.
    If we talk about the daily puzzle, then the main problem is to have problems

I have not investigated internal parts of PalView, but I think, that to switch colors and figures should be not a big deal. (For my site I use other plugin which offered me several possible designs.)
    .*-1

The BC membership price has been changed on the CFC webzine site but when you 'buy now' and it forwards to paypal it still lists as $48 (at paypal). Also I am getting alot of mysql errors listed on the main page.

also when you try to buy a membership on the 'main' page
    the error

Provider error '80004005'

Unspecified error

/membership.asp, line 14

pops up.

Basically it is impossible to buy a membership via the website right now!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast