Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chess Canada Webzine

Thumbs up 4 days to launch

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Malmsten
    I hope every member who paid for 4/6 issues will get a letter in the mail telling them of the online magazine.
    Thank you Eric. That is an excellent suggestion. We are trying to save on stamps, so for those members that can't be reached by email, they will receive notice by regular mail.

One area where we can cut costs is postage. We have email addresses for only about 50% of members. Renewal notices have been going out recently by either email or regular mail. Hopefully we can cut postage costs further as renewing members are asked for email addresses for future renewals.

I really hope that those members disappointed with the loss of the printed magazine will give the webzine a chance. We plan on having new material every week. So we really need contributions to make this a success.

Please send your contributions to info@chess.ca

Default maybe mail with flyer

To help with the costs of stamps, maybe a flyer for events like the Toronto Open, Canadian Open, Quebec Open, Victoria Open, etc can be sent with the notice of the online webzine, with the organizers contributing towards costs.

Thumbs up Chess Canada Webzine

The Chess Canada Webzine is now online.

All current members should have received an email (as long as we have your email address) with a username and password. Go to our new main page and find the link to the webzine. If we don't have your email address, please send us an email so we can send you the password.

There are some public accessible articles, but once you login, more will be available to you.

Try it out and let us know what you think.

For any technical problems, send an email to: vchow@chess.ca

This is phase 1 of the webzine. Additional features are planned for phase 2.
    Last edited by Bob Gillanders; 01-19-2009 at 01:45 PM.

Hi Bob:

Vincent seems to have done a nice job. Congratulations.

Bob

I noticed when I was looking at the 'membership' part of the webzine page that BC membership was still listed as $48. I thought BC had cut out its provincial fee and went with a per tournament fee.

Unhappy Oops

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Lohner
    I noticed when I was looking at the 'membership' part of the webzine page that BC membership was still listed as $48. I thought BC had cut out its provincial fee and went with a per tournament fee.
    You are correct.

BC memberships are now $36 (adult) as provincial dues are collected on per tournament basis.

We'll get that fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gillanders
    BC memberships are now $36 (adult) as provincial dues are collected on per tournament basis.

So how exactly does that work, anyway? Do the TD's in BC send separate monies to the provincal association, or is it funnelled through the CFC?

Quote Originally Posted by Garland Best
    So how exactly does that work, anyway? Do the TD's in BC send separate monies to the provincal association, or is it funnelled through the CFC?
    If it is a CFC rated event, they send it to the CFC along with rating fees and anything else (and it is duely forwarded by the CFC to the BCCF). If it is not a CFC event, they send it directly to the BCCF.

See http://www.chess.bc.ca/FeeReorganizationNov08.pdf for complete details.

Some suggestions for the online publication:

1) Make it a single PDF file that can be printed all at once. Have a "tabbed" index, rather than the present form, which often involves several clicks before getting the article you want.

2) Diagrams. I hate the form that they are in - as well as the colours. How about a clickable diagram with which you can follow the whole game (with notes)?

3) How does one get a complete rating list (or more than 50 names) in the requested category?

Lightbulb

I agree with Hugh about the diagram colours. Blue is wrong. Normal boards are usually brown or green for a reason: ease on the eyes. This is amplified by too sharp contrast between the light and dark squares. For some printers black on blue vanishes.
    All that intricate detail on the piece designs is pointless also; less is more for symbols.

Evidently there's no proof-reader yet. In the intro to the Makogonov-Bohatirchuk diagram:
    ~ 1.d4 c5 2.d5 e5 3.e4 *g6 4.Nc3 Bg7* White has scarier ideas than simply castling short. Aside from 5.h4, 5.f4, and 5.Bb5+ there is
    5. Bc4 Nh6 6. Nf3 f6 7. h3 Nf7 8. Be3 Bg7 9. Qd2 O-O 10. g4
    [DIAGRAM] In Makogonov-Bohatirchuk etc ~

should read ...*3..d6 4.Nc3 g6* White has scarier... etc. This freaks the next diagrams so they look like retrograde analysis problems.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast