Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chess Canada Webzine

Thumbs up Chess Canada Webzine

The long awaited CFC online magazine is almost ready. We are starting the 10 day launch countdown today. That means we go online January 19, 2009 by midnight or sooner.

We have a growing list of contributors including:

Lawrence Day
    Kevin Spraggett
    Mark Bluvshtein
    Nikolay Noritsyn

But you don’t need to be an elite player to contribute.

We are extending the welcome mat to all whose wish to contribute. You may wish to submit an annotated game you are proud of, write an article about your local chess club (shameless plugs to troll for new members are okay), tell us your ideas for improving chess in Canada, or a personal interest piece about one of the many hardworking chess volunteers across Canada.

Send your contributions to info@chess.ca. The more submissions we get from the regular members, the better we can tailor it to what you want to see. The emphasis will be on local Canadian content.

Watch this board for further details as we approach launch date.

Thumbs up 9 days to launch

I am pleased to announce David Cohen will be a regular contributor to the webzine. David has been an enthusiastic supporter of Canadian chess for many years. His contributions include:

Founder of the Canadian Chess Hall of Fame,
    he has written extensively on the history of Chess in Canada,
    chief fundraiser for the 2008 Olympic fund.

David was the driving force behind getting all our pictures on the website. Great to have you aboard David.

Everyone is welcome to be a contributor. You don't need to be an elite player or journalist. Members have told us repeatedly that they want local Canadian chess news. We need your help.

Default Kevin Spraggett to report on Seville Tournament

Kevin will be submitting his report shortly after it finished on anuary 31st. This should be a great event and we all wish Kevin luck!!

Thumbs up 8 days to launch

One recurring complaint we heard about the printed magazine was that it was too focused on the international scene. That it had trended away from local Canadian news. A regular feature of years ago were reports from Across Canada. I would like to bring that back. But we will need your cooperation.

As chess organizers, take it one step further. Along with submitting the crosstable for rating, we would love to get a write up on the tournament. Tell us of the special moments that made your tournament unique.

Submissions can be sent to info@chess.ca

Tell us what you want to see, post here or send us an email.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gillanders
    Tell us what you want to see, post here or send us an email.
    The page from the online version must be easily transfered to a readable printed page (i.e., printer friendly).
    .*-1

Thumbs up 7 days to launch

Thanks Egis, we will definitely try to keep it printer friendly.

Many chess clubs struggle to attract and keep new members to keep their chess clubs viable. Vince and I are on the executive of the Mississauga Club, and along with Paul Roschman we started the Mississauga Junior Chess Club that meets just before our regular adult club. It have infused new life into our adult club as some of the juniors and their parents have joined our adult club. It has caused some problems as well, but overall, a great success to date.

I am planning to write an article on the Mississauga Junior Chess Club for the webzine. Perhaps other clubs can learn from our experience and start their own junior clubs. I am sure we aren't the 1st club to try this. I would love to hear from other clubs with similiar experiences and willing to submit it for publication.

If we can share these stories via the webzine, we can all benefit from the knowledge.

Please send your webzine contributions to info@chess.ca.

Cheers.

Hi Bob:

If possible, include profiles of one or two members of the club. Look for human interest angles and maybe one or two of their games. Talk to me next month and we can see about doing one on the RA club.

Hi Garland:

That's a great idea but Bob isn't producing content for the webzine but certainly wants lots of content to be on it!!

Do you want to do something for your club that we can publish?

Smile 6 days to launch

Thanks David.

The objective is to have as many contributors as possible. Let's build a sense of community and share our experiences.

Send contributions to info@chess.ca

Don't be shy. Have some fun with it!

Default any mailing notice?

I hope every member who paid for 4/6 issues will get a letter in the mail telling them of the online magazine.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast