View Poll Results: On the issue of FEN's contract, I:

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • support a formal contract extension.

9 45.00%
  • support the issuance of an RFP.

4 20.00%
  • support neither of the options provided.

2 10.00%
  • abstain.

5 25.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 9. STRAW POLL: FEN Books and Equipment Contract

Default Budget Implications?

I stand to be corrected, but I read Bob's and Chris's suggestions as having significant negative budget implications. I would favour extending the contract for the balance of this FY while a task force looks at optios for Fy 2014.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Ritchie View Post
    I stand to be corrected, but I read Bob's and Chris's suggestions as having significant negative budget implications. I would favour extending the contract for the balance of this FY while a task force looks at optios for Fy 2014.
    I would argue (although it's hard to tell for sure) that the current arrangement is actually costing us money, not actually making us anything. And the nicer projected numbers for next year have no basis in prior performance.

Just using a number pulled out of my hat here, but wouldn't even $3,600 per year ($300 per month) of 100% no-work-to-do income as part of an official supplier deal be far better than that!?
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

I would second Chris thoughts:
    Do we get a pure profit of 3000 from sales? (FEN ~26000 - Cost 23000 = 3000)
    or in other words: Is there any Executive (Outsourcing Contract) time/monies involved too?
    .*-1

Blog Entries

Book commissions run about 4% of Amazon sales we direct to them. I'm not sure if it's possible to link out into the general Amazon site or not. At one time I thought you could, but I seem to recall I couldn't last time I tried.

On all regular FEN sales we keep 20% of the retail price and remit the other 80% and shipping costs to them. From that, we give 4% to Outpost for their time to process the orders, so we effectively get 16%

If one voted for a formal contract extension, how long would such an extension be perceived as being?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Craft View Post
    If one voted for a formal contract extension, how long would such an extension be perceived as being?
    Gordon's suggestion of extending to the end of the fiscal year (April 30, 2013) would seem like a logical choice.

Blog Entries

Michael: I think the question probably becomes - do we want to do an RFP for a new deal as of 2013/05/01 or readdress it at an upcoming meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred McKim View Post
    Michael: I think the question probably becomes - do we want to do an RFP for a new deal as of 2013/05/01 or readdress it at an upcoming meeting.
    The purpose of this straw poll was to solicit feedback to guide the executive on our present circumstances. I favour Gordon's suggestion of a task force addressing next year's concerns, should we extend FEN's contract. If anyone were to be interested in serving, they could simply get in touch with me.

Default I hate Amazon

The one aspect of our FEN arrangement that I don't like is that our books sales are handled through Amazon, and our commission is almost nothing. Surely a better deal is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael von Keitz View Post
    The purpose of this straw poll was to solicit feedback to guide the executive on our present circumstances. I favour Gordon's suggestion of a task force addressing next year's concerns, should we extend FEN's contract. If anyone were to be interested in serving, they could simply get in touch with me.
    Hi Michael, I'm not sure if you had this in mind, but my husband Denis could serve as a non voting representative of FEN for discussions.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast