Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8. October Quarterly Meeting Made Public (Bond/Dutton) - Discussion Only

Default 8. October Quarterly Meeting Made Public (Bond/Dutton) - Discussion Only

In this thread, please discuss the prospect of making the October Quarterly Meeting public. A vote for this to take effect in all quarterly meetings will be conducted in October.

Default Transparency Wins Benefits

I have been in favour of public quarterly meetings for some time. They give CFC a beneficial transparency, and I feel the downsides are minimal.

The recent CFC AGM's went well, being public.

The recent OCA AGM was not only public, but allowed non-governors to post interactively with governors during the meeting. This went well, a few non-governors posted, and the privilege was not abused ( I am not yet proposing this, just noting that " openness " has now been experimented with in different ways, and seems to have worked well ).

Unfortunately, I also think it is the fact, that few member/non-governors have availed themselves of the attendance opportunities when made available. But hopefully that will change as more meetings are made open, and more publicity is given to the fact.

For " confidential " items, we can always retire briefly to the " confidential " Governors' Discussion Board, and when finished, return to the public board.

Bob A
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; 08-01-2012 at 11:46 AM.

Blog Entries

It is easily possible to use redirects so that a confidential item will appear in proper thread order, but the thread itself is in a private forum so it restricts access.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Is the purpose to eventually have a motion to make all of the meetings public except for items that must be dealt with in confidence?

Blog Entries

It might help to clarify in advance specifically what issues are considered confidential. That way, no Governor needs to be afraid to post something in the wrong place.

Ken, the way I read the initial post is that the vote at this meeting affects only the October meeting, while we will vote at the October meeting to affect all future meetings.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    Ken, the way I read the initial post is that the vote at this meeting affects only the October meeting, while we will vote at the October meeting to affect all future meetings.
    Chris has the proper interpretation.

Can someone give me an example of something in chess that needs to be kept confidential? Do we have issues of national security for example?

Hi Garvin:

I think discussion on te eterms of the outsourcing contract for office services would have to be kept confidential.

Bob

Blog Entries

Definitely anything employee related or relating to any kind of RFP bids should be confidential. Also any discipline issues (although this is usually Exec stuff).
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Blog Entries

I made a sample redirect on the public forum. I put the actual thread in a hidden forum that I think only myself, Lyle and Michael can see. So if you click on the redirect, it will tell you you do not have permission to read it - that's exactly what would happen to a non-Governor trying to read a hypothetical confidential thread in a public meeting.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast