Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 5- Proposed 2012-2013 budget

Hi Marcus,

I would love to see a similar document. This is something that we could potentially do going forward for sure but I really don't want to go backwards. I don't feel comfortable enough with the information from previous years to be able to put together such a document. Besides, if we make such a document I have a feeling that rather than trying to go forward, we would get bogged down by past shortcomings. A fair amount of this happened at the tail end of the AGM.

I would like to focus on going forward. This is where we are and I have no control over past presidents or their actions/decisions. What I want from this meeting is for people to be able to see where we are now and how we intend to go forward. Of course from this point on I want transparency and accountability. Hence my intention to have these meetings online from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Clark View Post
    I don't want to put words in Brett's mouth but its possible it was based on previous membership statistics. No doubt these statements took a great deal of time to put together. The values given in my first page of the format Chris wanted is the correct breakdown after the AGM.
    Hi Rob & Marcus

Marcus, there was a typo in the 2012 balance sheet, as the league rebates estimates obviously were for the 2012 year. They were estimates, because Rob had to work out figures based on the postal codes of CFC members (a thankless task done after the Annual General Meeting). With 4 geographical areas, OCA paid out each league based on CFC members living in their area.

We had $2,349 approximately to give out (about half our revenues). Each league would get rounded up to the nearest $10 (from past practice), which would explain the $21 discrepancy over the amount Rob has calculated of $2370. So if Rob calculated the league would get $1077 (GTCL) it would be rounded up to $1080. The$720, $450 and $120 would have been worked out in the same way.

Rob, I never got an email from you confirming the amounts in your proposed budget, but am glad they are open for discussion now. Obviously, this is what we are voting on, and when we do, I can amend the 2012 income statement to show league rebates payable of $2370, meaning we will then have $1,055.26 left, $21 less than before. The balance sheet can be changed and this info will be given to Bob G for the tax returns.

It seems to me that the decision to give Bob G $500 is a simple 2012-13 operating expense and the same will be true of $500 Ontario Closed Funding assuming that tournament takes place during this year as well as $250 Olympic funding. We have few payables and receivables to worry about at our year end, but I can see why that confuses some people. I think that's why you, Marcus, are asking if this could be made into a simpler format. Almost no business uses the cash basis of accounting(you earn and spend when money is put into or taken out of the account), opting for the accrual method instead (involving payables and receivables), which is what we are doing. To try to simplify this for everyone, I added some payable and receivable info onto the income statement which normally doesn't appear on these documents, to provide a bridge to the balance sheet, so that it would be effortless for those without an accounting background to understand it.

All that really matters is that volunteers who care enough about chess spend what little money there is wisely on behalf of the OCA, and the same is true of volunteers at the CFC level and league level. That's all we're voting on here.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Campbell View Post
    Each league would get rounded up to the nearest $10 (from past practice), which would explain the $21 discrepancy over the amount Rob has calculated of $2370.
    Actually, it is (or should be) in the constitution, not just past practice. It was part of the motion at the 2009 AGM that raised the league rebates from 33% to 50% of money we get from the CFC.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Hi Kevin,

After some careful deliberating and consulting if there are any amendments that anyone wishes to make to the budget they should do so with a seconder.
    Last edited by Rob Clark; 07-15-2012 at 10:37 PM.

I suppose that this would also be a good opportunity to call for any amendments or ask if anyone has an intention of making an amendment.

Ottawa Ontario National Master Former Gov.
    Blog Entries

Hi Kevin,

After some careful deliberating and consulting if there are any amendments that anyone wishes to make to the constitution they should do so with a seconder.
    Hi Rob

I meant OCA Governor(s) might wish to put forward amendment(s) to your (or perhaps, rather, the Executive's) proposed second attempt at a budget, as given in this thread at this special meeting.

I was asking if for this meeting an 'amendment' to the budget would have to be sought by a motion that would require a seconder, as usual, now that the budget I refer to seems to have crystalized.

Earlier, you asked Governors (and others?) for suggestions regarding what might be in the budget, and I had supposed that at that stage the budget in question had not yet crystalized in the minds of the Executive. This was a source of some confusion for me, anyway.

If an amendment to the budget in question (now that it has apparently crystalized [see post #5 on page 1 of this thread]) first requires an amendment to the OCA Constitution, I wasn't aware of that, not recalling the constitution very well from the last time I (rather briefly) read it.

Ottawa Ontario National Master Former Gov.
    Blog Entries

Hi Kevin,

After some careful deliberating and consulting if there are any amendments that anyone wishes to make to the constitution they should do so with a seconder.
    Hi Rob

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it occurs to me now that you may well have meant 'budget' rather than 'constitution' in the above quote.

Working bar hours are killing me slowly. Thank you for the correction, it is of course what I meant and I apologize for any confusion my error caused.

Hi Rob and Chris

Chris, thanks for pointing out that the OCA must give out 50% of CFC rebates to the leagues, and my estimate of $2349 shown on the 2012 statements represented exactly half of what the CFC gave OCA in the 2012 year, from May 2011 to April 2012. Rob, on your translation of my income statement, you indicated $2340 to give to the leagues, with no breakdown of percentage for each league. Then, in your sensible budget, you indicated $2370to the leagues, with a breakdown for each league. So there may have been a typo, and I am assuming $2370 for discussion purposes. I am sure you got these figures and based them on postal code memberships from the 4 geographical areas. It is interesting to be tracking which leagues are attracting more CFC members, and which are losing members. Maybe we can use this information in some way to promote chess better, but that is maybe better discussed at an annual meeting.

I realize most OCA presidents, secretaries and VP's (1 from each league) will be OCA governors. As far as I know, I am just Treasurer of OCA, not a governor. But, I suppose no volunteer at OCA level needs to be a governor. In that case, are OCA executive members who are not governors able to vote for or against this budget? I don't really care, as long as sensible decisions are made.
    Last edited by Brett Campbell; 07-15-2012 at 11:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Campbell View Post
    ... We have few payables and receivables to worry about at our year end, but I can see why that confuses some people. I think that's why you, Marcus, are asking if this could be made into a simpler format. Almost no business uses the cash basis of accounting(you earn and spend when money is put into or taken out of the account), opting for the accrual method instead (involving payables and receivables), which is what we are doing.
    You may be right, Brett, that the fact there is so little to report makes people uncomfortable, makes them think there must be more to know. !?

Still, whether it's done on a cash-flow basis or an accrual basis, couldn't we set up a multi-year chart? We're discussing funding events on a rotating basis, we're projecting CFC revenues - wouldn't all that be easier if we could see the past few years, together with projected receivables and planned spending for this year (and the next, even?) all on one chart?

E.g. If the amount we plan to "donate" (so it's been put) to OHSCC is an annual amount, while the Closed is biannual, or if it's an increase compared to previous years, etc., shouldn't that be made clear? Otherwise it takes extraordinary efforts (or intimate familiarity) to assess the proposed budget.
    Last edited by Marcus Wilker; 07-15-2012 at 11:57 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast