Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 9. Event Bids - submission and discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bond View Post
    Congratulations Les! This looks very promising.

Regarding the CYCC dates - it will be difficult to complete the tournament in 3 days. Could the tournament start on July 9? It would take some of the sting out of the Friday-Saturday transition.
    We will take a look at this.
    Les Bunning

Have you checked with the FQE for the dates of the 2013 Quebec Open? The last weekend of the proposed Canadian Open dates may overlap the first weekend of the Quebec Open. I believe an arrangement was made when a previous Ottawa Canadian Open overlapped - in which players that wished to play in both events could receive 3 byes for the first 3 rounds (1 Saturday; 2 Sunday) of the Quebec Open.

If I haven't heard any confirmation of this before the closing of voting, I will abstain.

It would be very unfortunate if the two events were to conflict in schedule as the Canadian Open being held in Ottawa would be very appealing to a lot of FQE members given the new agreement.
    Organisers should talk about the dates.

If there is an overlap we will see what we can do to accomodate both events. The dates we chose were the traditional dates for the Canadian Open which is the saturday after the World open finishes. The 2013 Quebec open dates were not published when we chose these dates but it is in the interests of both tournaments to accomodate each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Bunning View Post
    If there is an overlap we will see what we can do to accomodate both events. The dates we chose were the traditional dates for the Canadian Open which is the saturday after the World open finishes. The 2013 Quebec open dates were not published when we chose these dates but it is in the interests of both tournaments to accomodate each other.
    The Quebec Open will be held from July 20 to July 28, as indicated to Halldor Palsson earlier this week. The tournament is being hold on the exact same week since many years...

Is there any way to move the dates of the Canadian Open? The schedule conflict would result in dozens of lost entries for both tournaments. With the FQE-CFC agreement, one could expect that a lot of players would play in both tournaments. Quebec GMs, such as GM Kovalyov and GM Sambuev, would probably not be able to play in the Canadian Open with those dates. Also, many IMs might choose not to play in the Canadian Open and instead go at the Quebec Open, in order to look for norms... Allowing the players to take 3 byes in the first rounds of the Quebec Open would probably not be a good solution, especially for those in the invitational section.

The 2012 World Open ends on Sunday, July 8.
    The 2012 Canadian Open runs from July 8-13.

The 2013 World Open runs from Wed. July 3 to Sun. July 7. (note that it will be in Arlington VA next year - not in Philly).
    The 2013 Canadian Open is planned for July 13-21.

What happened to the "tradition" this year? The World Open and Canadian Open overlap one day.

Should coordinating dates with a US event have priority over coordinating dates with a Canadian event?

Default World Youth Under 16 Chess Olympiad

Dear chess friends,

I just got this email from Ali Nihat YAZICI:

Dear Friends,

As you know world chess olympiad will be organised from 27 August to 10 September 2012 in Istanbul.

http://www.chessolympiadistanbul.com/en/

Parallel to this event, we announce following traditional top events regulations:

World Youth Under 16 Chess Olympiad 28 August – 6 September: http://wyco2012.tsf.org.tr/

11th Istanbul Festival 30 August – 8 September : http://istfest2012.tsf.org.tr/

All events will be organised in the same venue.

It will be unique for our future children, amateurs, tourists, everyone who loves chess…

Don’t miss it!

Ali Nihat YAZICI
    Head of Organising Committee

The question is:
    Could we send Canadian Youth Olympic team together with our National and Women's teams?
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

It seems like a good idea. Maybe it could be the first use of some of the money from the FQE-CFC agreement, if it is ratified. However, I don't think we could/should pay for all of the expenses, like it is the case for the Olympiads.

Blog Entries

Post Number of rounds and dates

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bond View Post
    Congratulations Les! This looks very promising.

Regarding the CYCC dates - it will be difficult to complete the tournament in 3 days. Could the tournament start on July 9? It would take some of the sting out of the Friday-Saturday transition.
    7 rounds in 4 days is in my opinion the minimum you have to allow for in order to get a decent spread (2 games per day) and enouhg games to sort out (as much as possible) the long jam of tied players with the same number of points.

Honestly I would like to see a motion voted and implemented to clearly state this, so all potential organizers would know the parameters up front. Anyone interested to join me with a motion in this direction?

P.S. We just finished CYCC 2012 in Surrey and we could have been in big trouble with sorting ties without the 7th round!...
    Valer Eugen Demian
    FIDE CM & Instructor, ICCF IM
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ches...593013634?mt=8

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12