Thread: Nathan Divinsky - RIP

Default Nathan Divinsky - RIP

Professor Nathan Divinsky died during the night in vancouver-a strong chess player and even better at bridge, former CFC FIDE Rep., and chess magazine editor.

Bob A

Default Sad news

I was quite saddened to learn that my old friend had died. I remember when Nathan became our FIDE Rep following the passing of the late John Prentice in 1987. He was a strong advocate for all things Canada and an esteemed member of the FIDE General Assembly. He had an opinion on most things but respected the views of others. Nathan also served a term as CFC President in the 90's, and was a frequent Captain and generous donor to our Olympic Teams.

I will miss him! Best regards to his family.

A couple of years ago, I was present at the Duncan Suttles book launch in Vancouver where I overheard Nathan tell Lawrence Day a Bobby Fischer story.
    According to Nathan he was on the sidelines watching a Fischer-Petrosian post mortem along with a few GMs. Nathan made a couple of move suggestions that seemed to interest Fischer. At one point Fischer apparently said to Petrosian "OK, Petrosian you're outta here, you (Divinsky) sit down here".
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    Professor Nathan Divinsky died during the night in vancouver-a strong chess player and even better at bridge, former CFC FIDE Rep., and chess magazine editor.

Bob A
    I remember that Divinsky and I long ago discussed the sudden death of Elod Macskasy in his sleep. While I regretted that he had died so relatively young, Divinsky said: what a great way to go, suddenly in your sleep, no protracted illness, no pain. So I hope he managed to go the same way. R.I.P. Nathan Divinsky.

In the 1950s, Divinsky was elected to the largely symbolic role of CFC Vice President. However, he was soon thrust into the highest role. Having fulfilled his duty, he pretty much disappeared from the CFC scene, though he did edit Canadian Chess Chat for about a decade. Some years after even that, the CFC passed a motion naming all ex-Presidents to be Governors. I dug Divinsky's presidency out of the history books, brought him back and as we see, he took an active role. Funny the twists and turns that fate has in store for us all.

I edited and typeset what I think is his best book, "Life Maps of the Great Chess Masters"
    JMS+ 1 p1.