Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 20) Other business

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Clark View Post
    The amount of a dollar a clock and a dollar a set seems reasonable. It seems like there should also be something in place for damaged/missing equipment. I know you've put some thought into it, do you have any ideas as to how to tackle this problem? Also I would say that 20% of all equipment rentals going to the person housing the clocks and sets is fair if he's willing to be responsible for them.
    All of this was already discussed at length and decided upon, back in 2009 I believe. IIRC it was $1 per clock and 50 cents per set, with an up front payment of 500% of the rental fee as a deposit, the non-rental portion of which is returned after equipment is back and inspected. If equipment is brought back late (at the time this was a bigger problem that dying equipment) we charge additional rental fees out of the deposit before returning it.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Campbell View Post
    It seems to me that this is one case where the OCA could benefit all the leagues. How? By applying for a Trillium grant for equipment for all the leagues means the OCA can make one application, instead of 4 leagues making 4 applications.
    You might want to talk to John Coleman who wrote a successful application to Trillium. The previous successful applicant is probably not available for comment. John was explaining the criteria for the grants to me and it is clear that it is not a trivial undertaking to apply for a grant.

You might be better off making several separate applications rather than one big application as it might improve your chances of being successful. Also, if you are getting rental income from the sets do you even need to bother with a Trillium application? Just use the rental fees to gradually buy more sets and clocks.

SWOCL would use the OCA as a vehicle for such a grant. That is one of the main reasons the OCA was incorporated, so it could function as such a vehicle to the leagues. I also like the idea of supporting the Olympiad players from Ontario. The amount of a dollar a clock and a dollar a set seems reasonable. It seems like there should also be something in place for damaged/missing equipment. I know you've put some thought into it, do you have any ideas as to how to tackle this problem? Also I would say that 20% of all equipment rentals going to the person housing the clocks and sets is fair if he's willing to be responsible for them. What could happen is that we could make an application for one league in which clocks and sets etc are part of the grant. After the league is done with the clocks, sets etc (assuming the grant is for either one event or a series of events) the materials could be returned to the OCA and added to the materials we have now.
    Previously we discussed a damage deposit cheque we could cash if equipment was broken or lost. An OCA executive member could volunteer to look after equipment. RVP's could be responsible for transferring equipment between leagues for tournaments in their geographical area. Rentals could pay for new batteries, and I've heard these should be removed from clocks when not in use. The OCA could receive the Trillium Grant, and buy equipment with some of it, adding inventory to the balance sheet. OCA would give the rest of the grant money to the league, to run a tournament, for example. We can discuss these ideas prior to implementation.

Previously we discussed a damage deposit cheque we could cash if equipment was broken or lost. An OCA executive member could volunteer to look after equipment. RVP's could be responsible for transferring equipment between leagues for tournaments in their geographical area. Rentals could pay for new batteries, and I've heard these should be removed from clocks when not in use. The OCA could receive the Trillium Grant, and buy equipment with some of it, adding inventory to the balance sheet. OCA would give the rest of the grant money to the league, to run a tournament, for example. We can discuss these ideas prior to implementation.
    Agreed, does 20% sound reasonable for the houser of the equipment?

Also there has been dispute over geographical regions in the OCA. I would like to put together a committee to decide where in fact the boundaries lie. I would ask that each league nominate one person to serve on the committee.

Also there has been dispute over geographical regions in the OCA. I would like to put together a committee to decide where in fact the boundaries lie. I would ask that each league nominate one person to serve on the committee.
    Sure, that sounds like a good idea. I like the idea of using postal codes, although it could be done by intersections of streets, which would require more work.

Agreed, does 20% sound reasonable for the houser of the equipment?
    It would give an incentive to someone to look after the equipment, and they could be responsible for changing batteries and ensuring that the equipment they are renting out works, and collecting the cheque for us. So I could support this modest compensation.

Sure, that sounds like a good idea. I like the idea of using postal codes, although it could be done by intersections of streets, which would require more work.

I think a committee can better answer where the actual boundaries currently are for everyone. Although if it ends up going by streets....more work is a huge understatement

Default drawing the map

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Wilker View Post
    ... if GTCL is happy to accept me representing them on this committee, I am willing to serve and help put together a clear map for the OCA website.

Marcus
    I'll just add here, in case it got lost on the other thread, that I would be willing to do this, but someone else from GTCL might be a better choice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast