Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 17)Review of chess activity in Ontario and proposed activity for the next fiscal year

Default 17)Review of chess activity in Ontario and proposed activity for the next fiscal year

Mention any activity here.

Default Ohscc 2013

The Ontario High School Chess Championship - the official OCA-sponsored provincial high school championship - will be held May 24-26, 2013.

The Championship will be held in Toronto.
    The site will be announced shortly.

Chris Field,
    OCA Governor.

on behalf of the organising committee:
    Martine Campbell (Collège Appleby College, Oakville)
    Serguei Ianine (University of Toronto Schools)
    Vincent Lu (Don Mills CI, Toronto)

Ontario Open: Is it still on a rotation base among the Leagues?
    .*-1

Yes it is, this is something else I actually wanted to talk about so thank you Egis. There is confusion regarding whether it rotates every among each league every 4 or 5 years. The 5 years is outdated. Additionally, records of the rotation are tricky and I have been unable to find them.

I put these together by tracking down the tournament on chess.ca.

2012-NOCL
    2011-odd year in rotation, people originally believed it was NOCL's turn but NOCL was apparently entitled to it in 2012 as per the 5 year rotation, I verified it with the 2007 minutes at the time and it checked out- held by SWOCL
    2010-GTCL
    2009-EOCA
    2008-SWOCL
    2007-NOCL
    2006- GTCL
    2005- EOCA
    2004-SWOCL
    2001- SWOCL

Therefore I propose it is officially set as a 4 year rotation with each league having a deadline of submitting a bid by August 1st after which other bids will be entertained.

The rotation seems to be the following for the upcoming years:

2013-SWOCL
    2014-EOCA
    2015-GTCL
    2016-NOCL

etc.

Is there any objection to this or does anyone see fault with it? I went by previous tournaments so if anyone has any previous minutes or notes on the matter they would be greatly appreciated.

Default 4-year rotation

If SWOCL hosted the Ontario Open in 2011, then it seems that the rotation should begin with EOCA:
    2013 EOCA
    2014 GTCL
    2015 SWOCL
    2016 NOCA

etc

Chris Field.

Question hold on a sec

Sorry for not completely understanding all the rotations, but it seems to me that EOCA and GTCL should both have at least one turn before SWOCL again. If SWOCL did 2013, then that would be 2/3 years, 3/6 years, 5/11 years. At EOCA, we are already planning 2013.

Aris Marghetis
    EOCA President

That is what I have been debating and why I wanted input. SWOCL picked up the slack and put in a bid when it was not their year. Should their place in rotation be changed because they put in a bid despite it not being their year so the Ontario Open didn't fall through the cracks? My personal opinion is that changing the order due to this would be a penalization for them coming through for the OCA. Also, I am sure they were not expecting to lose their place in rotation when the bid was made.

To use an example, say the EOCA is supposed to receive the open in two years and lets say a bid is not made by the league who the open is allocated to this year. If the EOCA makes a bid should they lose their spot in two years? I personally don't think so. But again, this is why we have this forum.

Blog Entries

I agree with Rob that with a fully defined rotation system, picking up the slack should not negate your spot in the rotation. Also it has been a 4-year rotation forever; I'm not sure where the 5-year bit came from.

However, at this point, just chalk it down as SWOCL and NOCL swapped their spots and go with Chris Field's suggested future rotation.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Clark View Post
    That is what I have been debating and why I wanted input. SWOCL picked up the slack and put in a bid when it was not their year. Should their place in rotation be changed because they put in a bid despite it not being their year so the Ontario Open didn't fall through the cracks? My personal opinion is that changing the order due to this would be a penalization for them coming through for the OCA. Also, I am sure they were not expecting to lose their place in rotation when the bid was made.

To use an example, say the EOCA is supposed to receive the open in two years and lets say a bid is not made by the league who the open is allocated to this year. If the EOCA makes a bid should they lose their spot in two years? I personally don't think so. But again, this is why we have this forum.
    I always thought of the rotation as SWOCL-EOCA-GTCL, and NOCL squeezes in when it works for them. By the way, for last year, EOCA did not find out until after SWOCL won the bid, that you were even looking for a replacement for NOCL. WE WOULD HAVE BID.

Anyway, how about the following idea? We order the 4 leagues in some starting order (for example, EOCA-GTCL-SWOCL-NOCL, the reverse order of the last 4 years). Then we always default to that rotation. If the next league up does not accept by August 1st, then we just continue along that rotation. The second league up would have until September 1st, the third until October 1st, the fourth until November 1st. If we ever get to this point, we open bid until December 1st, and if nothing, cancel the open that year.

Of course, the last scenario is extremely unlikely, but the beauty of this rotation is that each league is responsible for accepting their turn as soon as they can. Note that if only one league skips their turn, they would be looking at up to a 6 year gap between them holding the Ontario Open. I am fine with that, and I figure that GTCL and SWOCL also would not be concerned about ever missing their turn. However, that leaves NOCL. Rob, do you think that NOCL would be comfortable with holding it every 4 or 7 years, which in the long run, averages out to 5 years? I hope NOCL agrees, because it would make it much easier for the other 3 leagues to get into a rotational flow, avoiding the different rotations already being proposed within this thread. I hope what I wrote makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by Aris Marghetis View Post
    Sorry for not completely understanding all the rotations, but it seems to me that EOCA and GTCL should both have at least one turn before SWOCL again. If SWOCL did 2013, then that would be 2/3 years, 3/6 years, 5/11 years. At EOCA, we are already planning 2013.

Aris Marghetis
    EOCA President
    I am going to agree with Aris. EOCA should be hosting the Ontario Open in 2013.

Way back in 2007, NOCL indicated they did not want to host it again until 2012, even though they were eligible to host in 2011. SWOCL did step forward in 2011 to host it, but in my mind anyway, I considered it as just us taking our next rotation a bit early.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast