Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 11b) Motion 2012-A - Governor Allocations

Default 11b) Motion 2012-A - Governor Allocations

Dear chess friends,

OCA Constitution currently posted on the OCA website contains incorrect formula for calculating membership-fee equivalents, used for CFC Governors allocation:
    "8.8 The membership-fee equivalents shall be calculated as follows:
    a) for each Regular Member, one (1.0) membership-fee equivalent
    b) for each Junior Member, four-tenths (0.4) of a membership-fee equivalent
    c) for each Family Member, one-half (0.5) of a membership-fee equivalent
    d) for each Life Member, one (1.0) membership-fee equivalent
    e) for each Honorary Member, one (1.0) membership-fee equivalent"

In fact, Junior Member pays $24 membership fee, while Regular Member pays $36 membership fee.
    So, CFC counts a Junior Member as 2/3 of a membership-fee equivalent.

To correct this discrepancy, the following Motion is proposed (moved by Michael Barron, seconded by Egidijus Zeromskis):
    Effective immediately, paragraph 8.8 of OCA Constitution will be replaced by:
    "8.8 The membership-fee equivalents shall be calculated according to current formula used by the CFC."

Such wording would eliminate a necessity of future corrections, if the CFC will change rating fees for different membership categories.

Please support this Motion to avoid discrepancy between CFC and OCA regulations.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Blog Entries

I would support your motion Michael, however I would say it cannot be "effective immediately" as that implies that we'd have to retroactively adjust numbers.

I will propose an amendment that instead of "effective immediately" it states "effective as of the 2013 Governor calculations".
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Mallon View Post
    I would support your motion Michael, however I would say it cannot be "effective immediately" as that implies that we'd have to retroactively adjust numbers.

I will propose an amendment that instead of "effective immediately" it states "effective as of the 2013 Governor calculations".
    Christopher,

Just to clarify:
    We don't have to retroactively adjust numbers.

This Motion just makes completely legal the numbers announced by the OCA President in his email sent May 6 to all Leagues.
    If you wish, I could copy this email here.
    Last edited by Michael Barron; 05-26-2012 at 09:02 PM.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Making this effective immediately would most definitely be making this retroactive. I sent the number of governors out to the leagues in order to get the numbers out to the leagues faster. I was going through the constitution a few days later and realized my error and immediately corrected myself. I take full responsibility for my mistake and apologize for it. I also agree that the constitution needs to be changed. However, the constitution is what it is and for the upcoming election of governors, the number of governors allocated to each league is the corrected number I sent out which was later voted in by the executive.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Clark View Post
    Making this effective immediately would most definitely be making this retroactive. I sent the number of governors out to the leagues in order to get the numbers out to the leagues faster. I was going through the constitution a few days later and realized my error and immediately corrected myself. I take full responsibility for my mistake and apologize for it. I also agree that the constitution needs to be changed. However, the constitution is what it is and for the upcoming election of governors, the number of governors allocated to each league is the corrected number I sent out which was later voted in by the executive.
    Could you please provide the numbers and results of the vote?
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron

Total Governor Allocation:

NOCL- 1 governor
    GTCL- 8 governors
    SWOCL- 6 governors
    EOCA- 4 governors

Vote by exec is 6 yes 1 no reply as of yet.

The specific break down is as follows:

2012-2013 OCA Allocation of CFC Governors

EOCA

L - 54
    F - 3
    O - 90
    H - 3
    J – 34
    Total Weighted Memberships – 162.1
    Total Governors-3+1

NOCL

L - 13
    F - 2
    O - 20
    H - 0
    J – 17
    Total Weighted Memberships –40.8
    Total Governors-1

SWOCL

L - 43
    F - 5
    O - 184
    H - 5
    J – 71
    Total Weighted Memberships –262.9
    Total Governors-5+1

GTCL

L - 66
    F - 17
    O - 220
    H - 27
    J – 176
    Total Weighted-391.9
    Total Governors- 7+1

Total membership equivalents as per OCA constitution- 857.7
    Total governors allocated by CFC to OCA: 19

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Clark View Post
    The specific break down is as follows:

2012-2013 OCA Allocation of CFC Governors

SWOCL

L - 43
    F - 5
    O - 184
    H - 5
    J – 71
    Total Weighted Memberships –262.9
    Total Governors-5+1
    At the OYCC in April, there were 48 Windsor-area players, and 13 Chatham-area players, for a total of 61 juniors fom this part of SWOCL in one event alone. Presumably other SWOCL areas have juniors also... surely more than 10 in total.

These numbers were actually taken a bit before that. The membership list is given to me from the CFC ED well in advance of the meeting so that time can be taken to calculate the respective governors. This is how it has been traditionally done in the past as well.

Default SWOCL numbers

John,
    Unfortunately, we can only count paid up members.
    As the OYCC was a youth only event, membership in the CFC was not a requirement.
    If we want to consider this as a requirement of playing in the OYCC, our numbers would most certainly swell for Ontario youth members of the CFC, but it would likely have a large effect on the numbers attending the OYCC.

I am open to the discussion ...
    ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
    Patrick McDonald
    International Arbiter
    International Organizer

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast