Thread: 09a) League Reports - EOCA

Blog Entries

Default 09a) League Reports - EOCA

Eastern Ontario Chess Association reports to be posted below
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Question

Unfortunately, I am having some back problems, and find it difficult to sit down for long. Therefore, I doubt that I will be able to file any significant report here. However, there are some points that came up from our 2012 EOCA AGM that I will try to follow up on :

- Many of us find the Treasurer reporting difficult to follow, particulary disbursements.
    - We have not received a rebate from the OCA since the little one at the 2011 AGM.

Best regards,

Aris Marghetis
    EOCA President

Hi Aris,

Firstly I am sorry for the unpleasantness regarding the governors. The OCA gives league rebates once a year. This is in our constitution and is how it has always been done. You will recieve your full rebate at the end of the meeting.

All the best

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Clark View Post
    Hi Aris,

Firstly I am sorry for the unpleasantness regarding the governors. The OCA gives league rebates once a year. This is in our constitution and is how it has always been done. You will recieve your full rebate at the end of the meeting.

All the best
    Hi Rob, thanks for your reply. However, since I have been EOCA President, the rebates have been 2-3 times a year. I look forward to us ironing this out by the end of this AGM.

Best regards, Aris.

Blog Entries

It used to be four times per year... then for a while it became never... then I think we made it twice a year, and apparently at some point it was changed to once per year. I don't personally care how often it is as long as it happens when the rules say it should happen.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Hi Aris,

I'm really not sure about all of that multi cheque business. I was league president but was ended up collecting a cheque once a year. I think I might have gotten two cheques once or twice, not sure.

Things that are done at the OCA level haven't always done by the book and I tried to look at our constitution for most of it. To be honest back in the day, in the notes I made when I first became OCA president, I sat down and went through our constitution. It says league rebates were paid annually. This is why I planned on sending out the rebates after the AGM. If this is something you would like to see changed this is certainly the time to discuss it.

The CFC sends rebates to the OCA twice a year, in November (for May to October memberships) and in May (for November to April memberships). The OCA normally pays leagues one cheque annually in May, based on memberships for the previous year, and this keeps the bank fees down and requires less work to manage than writing 2, 3 or 4 cheques to each league each year (how much am I getting paid, anyway?). For awhile, the CFC was behind in payments to the OCA as a result of issues arising while Barry was President, so recently, as the OCA was getting more cheques from the CFC to catch up, leagues did receive on occasion more than one cheque a year for that reason.

I am sending some financial info to Bob Gillanders and will work with him to simplify the bookkeeping so it's easier to follow but he will also be busy assisting with tax returns. Please be patient.