Thread: 07) Youth Co-ordinator's Report

Blog Entries

Default 07) Youth Co-ordinator's Report

Youth Co-ordinator's report to be posted below
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Arrow OCA Youth Coordinator's report

Hi everyone,
    I would first like to agree that this is a huge step forward - having the AGM online. We have quite a large province and it is always difficult to gather many governors and members together for such a meeting.

As for my portfolio, this year started with having a very successful CYCC. Especially in terms of participation of Ontario youth! It certainly was well organized and having it so close to our largest center of population and within easy reach of a large proportion of Ontario youth was a huge boon to the OCA and our youth players.

Going back into the end of our last year and into the beginning of this year, the participation of youth chess organizers in planning and holding YCC events for this first qualification only CYCC was quite encouraging to see. No doubt again that a large part of the reason for this was that the CYCC was being held in the Toronto area.

As for the events for this year, leading into the CYCC for this year, I would have to say that there is good news and not-so-good news:
    The not-so, is that there were very few YCC qualifier events held in Ontario to send kids to the Vancouver based 2012 CYCC. I am thinking that there are probably two reasons for this: One that the CYCC is being held in 2012 in Vancouver and so people are thinking that there will not be as many Ontario youth that will be interested in attending it this year, and: Two, that the novelty or impetus has worn off slightly for holding YCC events.
    The good news: The OYCC, our OCA official Youth Championships had an incredible 182 players this year! The previous record attendance was 160 so we passed that by quite a bit!
    The OYCC has maintained a good reputation over the past decade or so as being a very high level and well run youth event. It operates as the official Ontario championships crowning the Ontario champions in the various age/gender groups as well as being both a bursary event and a qualifier event for the CYCC.
    I believe that this is likely the biggest annual OCA event that runs.
    In other news from the Youth portfolio, I have been working on trying to organize a scholarship program for youth in Ontario. I almost had one insurance company on-board for sponsoring scholarships for Ontario's Youth Chess players, but that unfortunately fell through with a statement from the company of "belt tightening".
    My concept is that the top finisher in each age category of the OYCC would win a scholarship that would be held in trust and could be used for helping to pay for attendance at any accredited Canadian University when they do go. These scholarships could add up over the years if the youth manages to win in more than just one year and so could amount to quite a good support for the youth player to further their education!
    I am back to looking for companies to jump on board with this idea so if anyone has any leads, I would very much like to hear from you and perhaps get your support in helping me get a chance to make a presentation to your company or the company you have a lead on. (please contact me directly at: patrick@psmcd.net if you have ideas)
    I would like to thank all the youth chess organizers and volunteers in Ontario for all your support of youth chess in 2011/2012!
    Thank YOU,
    Patrick McDonald
    Youth Coordinator - Ontario Chess Association
    ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
    Patrick McDonald
    International Arbiter
    International Organizer

I was impressed with your report, Patrick. The OCA is lucky to have such a dedicated volunteer.

I like the concept of the scholarship and cudos for the successful OYCC!