Default 05) Secretary's Report

Secretary's Report to be posted below.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Michael Zaghi the OCA secretary asked me to post this:

Ontario Chess Association (OCA)

Secretaries Report

2012-2013

I would like to thank CFC President Michael Von Keitz for appointing me for this position which otherwise may have gone vacant for the remainder of the term. Indeed, it has served as an interesting learning experience which has also facilitated my introduction to organized chess in Ontario while in an executive capacity.

It should be reported that there was a significant communication block between the President and myself (Secretary) ultimately leading to my disconnection from the board for a large period of time. Although this is unfortunate, it is my understanding that this error did not in any way inhibit the board from passing the necessary motions that it did. As a result, it is also important to mention that I was not absent for any critical juncture. Nonetheless, it is clear that both the board and I could have made a more sustained effort to try and establish contact with each other at an earlier date.

This issue aside, there is not much to report given the fact that no constitutional amendments were made. Although this year may have been less eventful than years past, it is my feeling that this year has very much acted as a consolidating year for the OCA. It is my position that this year’s president did an excellent job at strengthening the OCA’s position going forward.

Respectfully submitted,

Michael Zaghi

Secretary, Ontario Chess Association

This is actually something which was very unfortunate. I know Zaghi personally as we went to the same club for much of the last few years. He's an upstanding guy and he possesses the technical knowhow (which certainly doesn't come easy to myself) to take control of the website. There was a miscommunication in terms of emails as one of his (the one I was sending emails to) was hacked and the account was suspended. He assumed that since the account was suspended that it was void and my emails would be returned and I wouldn't keep blindly sending him emails all term. Unfortunately this was not the case and it was only found out about it recently when I stated on chesstalk that I couldn't get a hold of him. He never actually knew I was in fact sending him emails. It was just unfortunate. If he wishes to run again I have no doubt he would be excellent as secretary.

Rob, thanks for explaining the "communications block"; that was confusing at first. Still a bit hard to believe that secretary and president of an organization could be out of communication for so long. Guess the OCA isn't that active?

I'm also confused about the statement that "there is not much to report given the fact that no constitutional amendments were made." I thought the OCA calculation of Junior membership at .4 was made through a constitutional amendment this year. Maybe I should ask this question in the other thread, even if I'm not "outgoing"?

Hi Marcus,

I agree it was a very strange situation, but as I mentioned in my report no harm was done. I can also assure you that the OCA was quite active over the duration of the year. Rob took the liberty of relaying me the majority of important communications that took place.

With regard to the calculation of junior membership, I am fairly certain that amendment was not made this year. I could be wrong though; I would also suggest sending a PM to Rob in order to clear this up.