View Poll Results: What best describes your situation at this meeting?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • I am an observer only.

8 28.57%
  • I am both an incoming and an outgoing OCA Governor.

18 64.29%
  • I am an incoming OCA governor but not an outgoing governor.

1 3.57%
  • I am an outgoing OCA governor but not an incoming governor.

1 3.57%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 01) Call to Order, Announcing your presence and agenda

Default Provincially Elected CFC Governors

Hi Kevin:

Vlad is a governor-at-large, not a provincially " elected " governor, which is the requirement, I believe, to be an OCA governor.

Bob

Ottawa Ontario National Master Former Gov.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Armstrong View Post
    Hi Kevin:

Vlad is a governor-at-large, not a provincially " elected " governor, which is the requirement, I believe, to be an OCA governor.

Bob
    Hi Bob

The EOCA, for example, has some Governors-at-large, e.g. Life Governors. We allow them to attend and vote at EOCA meetings if they wish. I would assume not allowing Governors-at-large to be OCA Governors was weighed carefully when the OCA Constitution has been revised at various times, but maybe I assume wrongly.

Default Outgoing vs Incoming

Quote Originally Posted by Egidijus Zeromskis View Post
    This and many other items are for Incoming Governors.
    Yes, I realize that this is for the incoming governors, but is this not supposed to be the second half of the AGM? (the issues / discussions for the incoming governors?)

Do we have a separate agenda for the incoming half of the meeting?

Thanks,
    ~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
    Patrick McDonald
    International Arbiter
    International Organizer

Default League Constitutions & OCA Governors

Hi Kevin:

It was considered. It was decided that the election by the CFC members was the key factor that should determine OCA governors.

I guess each League is free in their constitutions to give votes to others than OCA Governors. In the GTCL, often a few Executive are not OCA governors, and have a vote ini the GTCL. We also have 3 directors-at-large who are often not governors, and have a vote. Chess clubs can formally apply for a representative to have a seat on the Board of Directors, and they will get a vote, and would not be OCA Governors usually. Also, there are OCA governors who are from the GTCL , and do not sit on the GTCL Board of Directors, and do not have a vote ( we did away with ex officio board members ).

Bob A
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; 05-28-2012 at 02:26 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Pacey View Post
    Hi Bob

The EOCA, for example, has some Governors-at-large, e.g. Life Governors. We allow them to attend and vote at EOCA meetings if they wish. I would assume not allowing Governors-at-large to be OCA Governors was weighed carefully when the OCA Constitution has been revised at various times, but maybe I assume wrongly.
    There are so many life Governors from Ontario that they would almost outnumber the regular Governors

I believe I proposed at some point that we could have life governors, in an advisory capacity but without a vote unless elected at a League meeting.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

My intention was that at the end of the 5 day discussion period which would have named the new governors. I then intended a 3 day window for voting of the new executive where discussion would have taken place previously.

My exact wording was this :

" 5 days for items 1-11 (see below) then a three day voting window for 12-15 which will be discussed during the initial 5 days. Then another 5 day period for all matters pertaining to the incoming board followed by another 3 day voting period and then adjournment."

There will obviously be some hiccups and confusion here as I believe this is the first chess AGM like this in Canada.

The rest of the meeting will follow as such:

B. Matters for the incoming Board

13) Election of Officers and Special Officers

14) Consideration of any Special Resolutions, including proposals to amend the Constitution and Bylaws

15) Appointment of Auditor

16) Listing of the Governors to the Chess Federation of Canada as elected in the regional affiliates by the CFC Members of the region

17) Review of chess activity in Ontario and proposed activity for the next fiscal year

18) Budget

19) New business

20) Other business

21) Adjournment

Also 12 was : 12) Ratification of the new members of the Board

Blog Entries

Yes I may have technically jumped the gun with 12a) but IMHO it's a good idea to get the discussion about the election started as soon as possible, and since there's no actual voting happening in that part...
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

I definitely don't think you jumped the gun at all. Discussion beforehand is a great thing especially since the executive voting may be a bit murky this AGM.

This online meeting was a good idea, and I think I have Rob to thank as well as the other executive members of OCA who agreed to try it.

Chris, if someone who's not a Governor wants to join, is there anything they need to do?

Thanks and regards, Aris.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12