Thread: Olympiads Selection

Default Olympiads Selection

Last edited by Serge Archambault; 09-04-2019 at 05:07 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Serge Archambault View Post
    It is true at the time I wrote it I was under the impression Viktor Plotkin would be a player (I knew Canada had sent only 5 players in recent Olympiads, as per CFC Handbook section 12), but I also know the CFC hasn't always followed it's own rules . According to Fred McKim, it seems M. Plotkin was voted Team Captain by the players and I wish him good luck.
    It's not a CFC rule, it's a FIDE rule. The CFC rules could state that we have a team of 100, but when we go to register we are only allowed 5 on the team.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Serge Archambault View Post
    It is both. In the last two Olympiads this rule has been strickly enforced. However I believe (I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong ) if for any reason one of players don't go, Victor would be allowed to play.

Serge
    There are very specific regulations regarding replacements. Should one of the players decide not to go, Victor wouldn't be first in line. Having said that - if the team arrived in Greece a player short, then I assume the best Canadian available could be added to the team.

Blog Entries

IIRC it's happened before where a player couldn't make it last minute, or something else happened so they couldn't play... The Captain (Brian Hartman?) was put in as the 2nd Reserve player but did not play I don't think.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter