Thread: Passport to Chess

Default Passport to Chess

The CFC has 1,750 copies remaining of the bilingual 10 page pamphlet "Your Passport to Chess - Official Summary of the Rules of Chess / Un Passeport pour Les Echecs - L'Abrege Officiel des Reglements du Jeu D'Echecs". If you would like free copies - any number from 1 to 1750 - please e-mail me by this Thursday. After that, they all go in the recycle bin.

The pamphlet is 9 inches by 19 inches folded in 5, one side English, one side French. It explains the moves with diagrams, as well as castling, check, and stalemate. It concludes with some tips on playing. Note: it has the CFC's old mailing address.

Regards,

David
    David Cohen
    bw998 AT freenet.carleton.ca
    or www.CanadianChess.info and use the Contact Us form.

I wrote that.

The idea was to promote chess and the CFC at the same time. I was hoping that every chess set sold in Canada would have a "Passport" in it. It would be left in the leaflet racks of libraries, in laundromats... A synopsis of the rules of chess, correct and in plain language; little of the organizational hard sell. It was the only publication that we went to the trouble and expense of having professionally typeset. A few tens of thousands of copies were distributed in its day. It could be adapted to 2012 with a tiny sticker having the CFC web address over the permanent CFC postal address that was abandoned. Or a larger sticker with your club name / phone and/or web address to go over the whole CFC/FCE address rectangle.

Interesting how promotional ideas age.
    JMS+ 1 p1.

Default All found a home

Thanks to all of the chess organizers, teachers and parents who accepted copies from the CFC of "Your Passport to Chess - Official Summary of the Rules of Chess / Un Passeport pour Les Echecs - L'Abrege Officiel des Reglements du Jeu D'Echecs" by Jonathan Berry. I didn't have to throw any in the recycle bin - all were taken! If you are still looking for a copy, try asking those from Newfoundland to Alberta with a batch, e.g.: FQE, LEO (Marcel Laurin), GTCL area (Egis Zeromskis), SWOCL area (Bob Gillanders), Chess Manitoba (Anthony Boron) and Canadian Forces (Régis Bellemare).

Regards,

David