Thread: CCC Discusses Chess - Posts of Interest.

Default CCC Discusses Chess - Posts of Interest - Sport.

Posted on the Cooperative Chess Coalition ( CCC ) Facebook chess discussion page: " CCC - Chess Posts of Interest ":

CCC Discusses Chess - Posts of Interest - Sport.

International

The Chess Federation of Canada ( CFC ) is currently preparing to apply to the federal Canadian Government to become a " registered amateur athletic association ". This would give them tax receipt granting status ( like a charity - they recently lost their charitable status ). It also involves convincing the federal government that " chess is a sport ". Not all Canadian chess players accept that chess fits within the definition of " sport ". Some say it is just a " game ". Others say it is " art ".

What do you believe? Sport ? Art? Game ? Science? Some of the preceding? None of the preceding?

Post your opinions!!

Bob Armstrong, CCC Member
    Last edited by Bob Armstrong; 04-17-2012 at 06:42 PM.

Default Chess as Sport for funding

Bob

You have the exact same--and unenlightening--title for two threads on different subjects in close succession.

CCC Discusses Chess - Posts of Interest.

Did you do that on purpose?

Chess is a sport, in most languages, though perhaps not in English. Among English-speakers, the debate will continue. But it is not an athletic sport. I say "good luck" to the CFC in dealing with Ottapoliticos and bureaucrats, even if only sport is in question. Done that, been there. A starting point may be in the National Archives of Canada, circa 1948, when the CFC was invited (by the feds?) to take part in the founding discussions of what is now ... Sport Canada, approximately. A lot happened in 64 years.

There are unanswered questions about the loss of the charitable status.
    JMS+ 1 p1.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
    Bob

You have the exact same--and unenlightening--title for two threads on different subjects in close succession.

It's kind of our official CCC by-line - " branding " and all that. We expect our topics are so interesting, that people will take a look to see what we're on about this time, even without knowing from the title!

Bob, CCC Coordinator

COL

That's like LOL, except to add "Good think I don't eat caviar, because I'm laughing so hard it would be coming out of my nose."
    JMS+ 1 p1.

Hi Jonathan:

You seem to feel you have a point to make.LOL

We agree.

We'll start adding the posted " subject " to the subject heading we use.

Thx.

Bob

Blog Entries

Post What needs to be done

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Berry View Post
    Bob

Chess is a sport, in most languages, though perhaps not in English. Among English-speakers, the debate will continue. But it is not an athletic sport. I say "good luck" to the CFC in dealing with Ottapoliticos and bureaucrats, even if only sport is in question. Done that, been there. A starting point may be in the National Archives of Canada, circa 1948, when the CFC was invited (by the feds?) to take part in the founding discussions of what is now ... Sport Canada, approximately. A lot happened in 64 years.

There are unanswered questions about the loss of the charitable status.
    CFC should renew the fight for having chess recognized as a sport plain and simple. I would not be content to accept something decided in a different Millennium, by a generation which did not know better. However we need to know what and how to request!...
    Valer Eugen Demian
    FIDE CM & Instructor, ICCF IM
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ches...593013634?mt=8