Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: looking for a chess teacher

Ottawa Ontario National Master Former Gov.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Berthold Chiang View Post
    Sure.
    Oh, when studying endgames, is it necessary to memorize some of the endgame positions and their solutions?
    Fine's Basic Chess Endings, though regarded nowadays as somewhat obsolete and having the odd mistake (relatively few IMO), is a book I played through as a junior during the course of a year, when I wasn't doing other things on a given day. The general and specific rules that are given here and there can be helpful to try to remember even nowadays. Perhaps someone can recommend a better and more modern single general endgame book that tries to cover as much ground, though. In any case, it's always good to at least know if an endgame that may arise in your game should be winnable/drawable (hopefully for you) , and if so how difficult it might prove. Otherwise, once into the endgame, you try to figure it out from there. Of course, it helps to have a fallible opponent, too.
    Last edited by Kevin Pacey; 08-01-2018 at 04:37 AM. Reason: Grammar
    There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
    Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Blog Entries

I like Improve Your Chess Now by Jonathan Tisdall. The mating patterns and tactics in the appendixes are usually lesson two and three for new students. I am surprised how often the patterns come up in my games and the games of my students and in grandmaster games that I observe online. Keres book on endings, "Practical Chess Endings" was my first endings book and contributed to a reputation of being a good endgame player.

I would also like to find myself a teacher. True, I'm completely new, tell me some literature or something. I will be very grateful. To thank you, I want to share a very cool site. I found interesting essays about chess there, here it is https://paperleaf.ca/pay-for-essay/, I think it will be as interesting to read as me.
    Last edited by Matilda Dawson; 08-21-2018 at 08:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matilda Dawson View Post
    I would also like to find myself a teacher. True, I'm completely new, tell me some literature or something. I will be very grateful.
    Hello Matilda, I don't know you, but if you're completely new, then I would suggest visiting your local chess club, asking there for potential teachers, and just having a chat with each of them, to see if you're comfortable with anyone. In my opinion, players rated rather low don't need a Grandmaster for a teacher, just a seasoned tournament player. When my students get to about 1600, that's when I pass them on to an International Master I know. If that doesn't work, then ask around for teachers who might not only teach in person, but also online. I personally much prefer in person, but when students (even my teacher) moved away, well then the online option makes best sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Matilda Dawson View Post
    I would also like to find myself a teacher. True, I'm completely new, tell me some literature or something. I will be very grateful.
    Location?
    Your local library might the good starting point for books.
    Chess.com would a good overall website resource.
    .*-1

Thank you very much for your reply !!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123