Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: looking for a chess teacher

Default looking for a chess teacher

Hello,

I'm a player of around 1350 CFC and would like to bring my game to a higher level.

Currently living in Vancouver, BC and is desperately looking for a chess tutor.

Any feedback will be appreciated.
    Last edited by Berthold Chiang; 12-08-2008 at 07:19 PM.

I've been playing in tournaments on and off for the last 9 years without much success and the study of various chess books have been a failure.

The great Capablanca once said that the study of a book would not teach a student how to play, and that it merely acts as a guide. Wondering if there's a grain of truth in what he said.

Quote Originally Posted by Berthold Chiang
    I've been playing in tournaments on and off for the last 9 years without much success and the study of various chess books have been a failure.
    It might mean that your books were too advanced for you. What are percentages of correct solved problems by you in these books? (My hardest book was Dvoretsky's Art of Analyzes in Russian. I could not manage it. Soon I will try his Analytical Manual (probably it is updated/revised version). Wish me luck

From my experience with a low-level (low-rating) players: their most weakest point - non ability to see the whole board what leads to sore blunders.
    To overcome this issue for my son (~1000cfc), I'm helping him to solve a lot of simple problems. His is getting more excited about chess when he does that, too.

I wish you to find a person who will go through your games and will point your weakness, and will build a plan for improvements. [I looked through your CFC records - you should play more
    Last edited by Egidijus Zeromskis; 12-09-2008 at 06:24 PM.
    .*-1

Blog Entries

I agree, you sortof have to learn how to read the chess books, and even then read ones at the right level for you. I have quite a few books that are too advanced for me, which I read out of interest and now they sit on my shelf until I'm ready to read them for real.

If that sounds like an area you'd like to improve in you might consider trying some online lessons, which aren't great for a lot of things but for this they work fine. Plus it gives you options!

hey guys,

I do have some books on tactics such as Alburt's "chess tactics for the tournament player". I learned quite a bit from it and scored okay when going through the exercises; however, while going through some tougher combinations online I usually lose the thread.

Maybe I studied books that are too advanced for me. One of them, "attack and defense" by Dvoretsky and Yusupov, was quite tough. The general discussion is pretty straightforward, while the analysis...

Blog Entries

Dvoretsky exclusively taught people already over 2000 rating level. So you might want to save that one for later

I recommend the four main Silman books to anyone around your strength (Reassess your chess + workbook, Amateur's Mind, and his endgame book). They're really easy to read and go through but lots of pertinent info in there!

Sure.

I own "reassess your chess", but not the other 3.

Right now I'm going through Capa's "chess fundamentals". Is it a book for players of my strength? I found out that some of the endings given in the book are quite advanced.

Oh, when studying endgames, is it necessary to memorize some of the endgame positions and their solutions?

Blog Entries

It's all about patterns at the lower levels, other than a couple key positions (like the Lucena) to aim for. The Silman ending book is good because it takes the endgames from easier to harder so any level can use it.

I'm not familiar personally with "chess fundamentals" so I can't comment on that. I'm also not nearly the strongest player on here but you weren't getting a lot of replies

Default some "facts" about chess fundamentals

i have the revised edition of "chess fundamentals" which is in algebraic notation. The publisher of the book, random house, gave it a rating between beginner to intermediate. But of course, such ratings are crap to most people.

Right now I'm going through Capa's "chess fundamentals". Is it a book for players of my strength? I found out that some of the endings given in the book are quite advanced.
    I found the Capa's book too concise and refined. He gave good advices but without extended backing with various positions or games (My edition has the chapter with Capa's own games, however he stated that these games are for advanced players.) I would suggest to read this book before sleep (you may come back later for his games) and move on to another one.

Oh, when studying endgames, is it necessary to memorize some of the endgame positions and their solutions?
    It would be better to connect moves into idea (rule), without memorizing them.
    .*-1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast