Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grassroots' Campaign - Still Trying to Withdraw 3 Motions

Default January 1, 2009 CFC Fees Change

Procedural niceties aside ( I am happy however our three Grassroots' Campaign motions get " withdrawn " ), the Grassroots' Campaign hopes that the CFC can now quickly get on with a full review of CFC fees in the light of current CFC finances - this is a substantial issue.

But I do have a concern here. Motion 2009-06 ( rescinding the July 2008 AGM fees changes ) is coming up for discussion in the GL # 3 , which is not out yet ! Thus, it is to be voted on , as I understand the process, in GL # 4, which won't be out 'til sometime in the New Year ( I'm making the wild assumption that GL # 3 will make it out before Dec. 31, 2008 ! ).

But the AGM motion changes the fees as of January 1, 2009 ! So are these fees going to come into effect for the first while in 2009, until the Governors finally get to vote whether to rescind them or not??

The problem as I see it, is that the President cannot lightly invoke his emergency powers to suspend the coming into effect of the July 2008 AGM motion. After all, it was passed by a number of governors present at the AGM meeting, who had all kinds of proxies which they also voted. So the will of the Governors at the present time has been shown to WANT these CFC fee changes ( lowering the CFC Annual Membership; raising CFC rating fees - among other things ). And this clear intention has not yet been altered by any subsequent vote of the governors, which vote is still outstanding.

The problem, as I see it, is that the GL process was used for motion 2009-06, rather than an e-mail vote, to get it done right away. The Governors have not yet even commented to each other on what they think of the Executive motion 2009-06, under the slow GL process.

I hope there is a solution to this. It is very confusing for organizers and TD's, not to mention future CFC members, to have one fee December 31, 2008, another on January 1, 2009, and then have it change back in a month or so into 2009, and then have it changed again later in 2009 when a full review of CFC fees has been concluded by the Executive.

Not great !

Bob

2009-06 has been voted on by the Governors. I trust the results will be released shortly.

Maybe if the rules were followed individuals would feel their input was being duly considered.

Default Next - Full Review of CFC Fees !

Hi Ken:

The following was posted some time yesterday by ED. Bob Gillanders on CFC Chess News:

NEWS
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Membership rates and rating dues for 2009
    Posted by Robert Gillanders on 12/8/2008

By a governor vote today, the CFC governors have rescinded the membership and rating fee changes scheduled to become effective January 1, 2009.

The current 2008 fee schedule will continue into 2009. New proposals are expected in 2009.

I'm glad the governors solved this problem in a timely way ! ( see my post just above this one as to the situation if they hadn't ).

The Grassroots' Campaign looks forward to being advised by the President how we can be involved in the full CFC fees review , in the light of current CFC finances. We would like to submit our positions on a number of items, that arise out of our original Grassroots' Campaign platform on CFC Restructuring.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by David Lavin
    ...there have been more comments on this Discussion board relating to Robert's Rules of Order. points of order, and arcane process than to the business plan, the development of junior chess, and the state of our national championships combined.
    I suspect that the above comment is a gross exaggeration but won't be wasting time trying to confirm or refute it. I do have a question: please provide a link to the post or thread in which you detailed your business plan. I'd like to see it.

In general, procedures and rules of order exist for a reason. Speaking for myself, I'm fed up with CFC executives who think they can simply ride roughshod over process whenever it suits them. If the process doesn't fit then change it, don't abuse it.

The Business Plan was emailed to all Governors in September. There are various threads on the Discussion board that you can peruse. It doesn't take much time to see that I am not exaggerating.
    Last edited by David Lavin; 12-09-2008 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Lavin
    The Business Plan was emailed to all Governors in September. There are various threads on the Discussion board that you can peruse.
    David, the Governors Forum, where the Business Plan is discussed, is closed to public. Peter McKillop is not a governor according http://www.chess.ca/contactus.htm
    .*-1

Default The Lavin CFC Business Plan

From what I have heard David say about the number of formal resposes to his business plan by the Governors who received it, I think he would get more response from the members if he posted it here on the CFC Chess Forum.

And members might even come up with some good ideas to contribute if he did this.

The governors have had a lot of time to respond to it now - seems no further reason not to release it now to the members.

Bob

My apologies Peter. I din't realize that you weren't a Governor and wouldn't have access to the Govenor's Discussion board.

I should have qualified my remarks.

Bob, I agree. I'll have some time during the holidays to update the business plan. I think that posting it to the general membership is a good idea.

by the way, I just got my copy of Bobby Fischer's 60 Memorable Games from the CFC?Amazon store. It cost me $28.14 and shipping was free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast