View Poll Results: BIRT The CFC cover any Olympic fundraising shortfall.

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

9 40.91%
  • No

10 45.45%
  • Abstain

3 13.64%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: STRAW POLL: FIDE Rep on Olympic Fundraising

Default STRAW POLL: FIDE Rep on Olympic Fundraising

Whereas the fundraising for the 2012 Olympiad may not cover all costs of sending our teams, and that every effort will be made to minimize the costs of our delegation, BIRT that the CFC will cover any shortfall associated with the project.

Discussion - the Olympic fundraising is underway, but the outcome is uncertain. We can no longer issue tax receipts. For the previous Olymiad we asked the Women's team to basically underwrite their own costs, and in the end we were able to pay for them. However this decision was contraversial and at least two elite players declined because of this risk.

I believe that demonstrating our commitment to the Olympiad will have a favourable impact on the fundraising campaign. Bob Gillanders estimated a $5,000 shortfall in the 2013 budget which is reasonable. We are looking at 10 players and one funded captain (a second captain may accompany the delegation and receive free room and board). Today Transat Airlines has tickets for less than $1100.

A rough sketch of the budget is:

11 tickets $12100
    entry fees 540
    visas @$170 1870
    FIDE Rep 1100
    total $ 15610

I have reasonable chances at a Sector Arbiter position, which will cover my plane ticket. If I am re-elected as FIDE Rep the budget may be reduced accordingly.

Hal

Hal has requested a straw poll to get a sense of the governors' position on this important question.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael von Keitz View Post
    Bob Gillanders estimated a $5,000 shortfall in the 2013 budget which is reasonable.
    Michael, the wording here is "awkward" at best,

to clarify,

The proposed 2013 Budget presented for discussion (see thread "Treasurers' Report") at this meeting predicts we can accommodate a $5,000 contribution to the Olympic fund and maintain a balanced budget.

FYI - The budget was a collaborative efforts between Michael, Fred, and myself. I am both surprised and disappointed there has not been more governor discussion of it, which was the point of presenting it at this meeting.

What does BIRT mean?
    Last edited by Bob Gillanders; 04-06-2012 at 09:49 AM.

I'm OK with the $5k in the 2012/2013 budget. I really believe the Olympiad team is important - the Victoria Chess Club has already raised money and I will be making a personal contribution - but I can't support going in the red or spending the capital that the CFC has invested in the Foundation.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
    Michael, the wording here is "awkward" at best,

to clarify,

The proposed 2013 Budget presented for discussion (see thread "Treasurers' Report") at this meeting predicts we can accommodate a $5,000 contribution to the Olympic fund and maintain a balanced budget.

FYI - The budget was a collaborative efforts between Michael, Fred, and myself. I am both surprised and disappointed there has not been more governor discussion of it, which was the point of presenting it at this meeting.

What does BIRT mean?
    Bob, I left Hal's original wording untouched. Thanks for throwing in your clarification!

BIRT = be it resolved that

Does this means that the CFC will be paying the airfare of the FIDE rep?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael von Keitz View Post

FIDE Rep 1100

So what happens Paul, when $5K doesn't cover it? We have to make a commitment before we have the funds raised. We could have kept quiet about this and just said "oops" when it came time to pay up.

Ottawa Ontario National Master Former Gov.
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bond View Post
    So what happens Paul, when $5K doesn't cover it? We have to make a commitment before we have the funds raised. We could have kept quiet about this and just said "oops" when it came time to pay up.
    How serious would it be to break such a commitment, by not sending team(s), if $5K doesn't cover it?

The CFC is still relatively cash starved. That's serious too.

Blog Entries

It's foolish to even think of going back to deficit spending after finally taming the CFC's budget.

Now, my counter-proposal:

Cancel the newsletter as it currently exists ($18k per year?)

Pay someone say $3000 a year to do a much more modest newsletter with chess community contributions ie tournament reports.

Take the remaining $15k. On Olympiad years, that pays for the team (roughly). On non-Olympiad years, the money goes towards the Canadian Closed.

You may not like my plan, but at least it's financially viable, rather than just "hoping" we'll have the money.
    Christopher Mallon
    FIDE Arbiter

Ottawa Ontario National Master Former Gov.
    Blog Entries

Assuming we don't lose too many members because of it, your plan seems viable, Chris.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast