Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

17 56.67%
  • No

9 30.00%
  • Abstain

4 13.33%

Thread: 13g. "The Voting Booth" Motion 2012-T (Guide for Rating Internet Games)

Default 13g. "The Voting Booth" Motion 2012-T (Guide for Rating Internet Games)

2012-T Guide for rating Internet games (Leblanc/Rekhson)

Introduction: The CFC is silent on the issue of rating internet events yet
    from time to time such events are held and results submitted for rating.
    This issue was raised in the Rating Auditor Report during the January 2012
    Governors Meeting. Discussion was limited however it appears that there is
    an agreement that there should be a published policy.

Motion: That an article be added to the CFC Handbook Section 7 CFC Rating
    System as follows:
    "Events played over the internet may be submitted for CFC rating provided
    that:
    i) Conditions of play are advertised ahead of the event and agreed to by all
    participants"
    ii) A non-playing TD must be present at each playing site to ensure that
    normal tournament regulations and playing conditions are upheld.
    iii) Along with all the information that is usually sent to CFC, an event
    that has games played on the internet shall also provide the following
    information:
    a) moves from games played over the internet
    b) The names of TDs present at each site,
    c) provide the website where the games took place.
    d) provide the internet handles of the participants.

Please vote YES, NO or ABSTAIN - voting is now open and remains open till 6pm Eastern Time Saturday April 7th
    Last edited by Lyle Craver; 04-05-2012 at 09:51 PM.

Blog Entries

Thumbs down Breaking an agreement

The CFC has been silent on the issue of internet games because ALL OFFICIAL INTERNET GAMES in Canada fall under the jurisdiction of CCCA. CFC has a partnership agrrement in place with CCCA for years.

ALL voting in favour of this motion are simply breaking this partnership. This motion should not even exist, forget being voted in favour as it looks on Friday night Pacific time.

Not being aware of CCCA is not an excuse. I have been the governor representing CCCA for at least 4 years in a row now. I am one of the few governors raised to play and organize both forms of chess: OTB and correspondence or internet as it is today. If in general the governors do not pay too much attention to me because they feel I am not qualified enough (or whatever...), in this particular case I am the most qualified! Ignoring me and indirectly the organization I represent - one working in partnership with you for many years - is a big mistake!

Please corect it before it goes too far!
    Last edited by Valer Eugen Demian; 04-07-2012 at 02:04 PM.
    Valer Eugen Demian
    FIDE CM & Instructor, ICCF IM
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ches...593013634?mt=8

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Valer Eugen Demian View Post
    The CFC has been silent on the issue of internet games because ALL OFFICIAL INTERNET GAMES in Canada fall under the jurisdiction of CCCA. CFC has a partnership agrrement in place with CCCA for years.
    I don't think the motion changes anything with respect to correspondence type time control games. Are you claiming that the CFC made some kind of agreement that precludes ever rating internet games, even those played at OTB long and blitz time controls?

I understand the CCCA plays only VERY slow games. Please let me know if they use chess clocks in the same way we do for CFC events. Don't worry, I will investigate this.
    Paul Leblanc
    Treasurer, Chess Foundation of Canada
    CFC Voting Member

Ottawa Ontario National Master Former Gov.
    Blog Entries

I believe under online meeting forum rules, biased (perhaps even bullying) posts such as #2 here are not to be made in voting booth threads. However, assuming you delete that post Lyle, I suggest that you re-post it in the appropriate thread that was designated for discussing this motion.

Blog Entries

Post Bullying

I posted my second message here because governors are already voting on this. How many still go to the discussion thread now and keep on voting instead?...

Correspondence chess in 2012 (and even before the new Millenium) includes email and internet chess. In the "About ICCF" section anyone can read it says:
    "Correspondence chess is a type of the world-wide well-known game of chess, which has been played between towns, chess clubs and/or individuals, by using:
    • traditional postal transmissions
    • modern ways of transmission using a dedicated webserver

Some sources say that correspondence chess was already played in the 12th century. Most chess historians doubt whether this is true. In the 19th century chess clubs and magazines started to organize more regular tournaments, national as well as international tournaments..."

CCCA Constitution, art. 3
    "The objectives of the CCCA shall be to administer and foster correspondence chess throughout Canada and internationally on behalf of the CCCA. Further, its purpose shall be to provide the opportunity and facilities to play chess by mail in various forms within a national organization, nationally and internationally, and offer its membership reliability, permanence, friendly contacts, and a wide choice of playing strengths from beginner to master. The CCCA shall have power to do all such acts as are necessary for or conducive to achieving its aims."

CCCA has its own dedicated national space on the ICCF server allowing organizers to setup tournaments and matches of any sort. There are so many things I can add here, I could write a novel. However the request to respectfully discard this motion stands! I have also advised CCCA Executives of this development and so far they are not pleased...
    Valer Eugen Demian
    FIDE CM & Instructor, ICCF IM
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ches...593013634?mt=8

Quote Originally Posted by Valer Eugen Demian View Post
    However the request to respectfully discard this motion stands! I have also advised CCCA Executives of this development and so far they are not pleased...
    Valer, I agree. The results of this motion should be set aside until your concerns are addressed.
    Last edited by Bob Gillanders; 04-07-2012 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gillanders View Post
    Valer, I agree. The results of this motion should be set aside until your concerns are addressed.
    I second this opinion.
    Thanks,
    Michael Barron